PclStorage and access to other folders

I'm feeling a bit confused over how to use PclStorage.

I am developing a cross-platform application for iOs, Android, and Windows.

In each I'm going to need "private" file storage as well as "public" file storage.

I understand that the filesystem isn't the same on each device so I need to write platform specific code.

I think I am confused about how PclStorage helps - it seems to me I don't even need to use it.

Using PclStorage, I can get easy access to the "private" folders on any device. But what if I want to save something in the Android Downloads folder? Or on Windows, the Desktop?

Can PclStorage do that? From what I can see PclStorage only offers a path to FileSystem.Current.LocalStorage and FileSystem.Current.RoamingStorage. I can create subfolders under those paths (wheverver they are on each platform), but those aren't accessible to the end user outside of the application. If on Android I go to a File Manager, I won't be able to access those files.

I've read a lot of the PclStorage examples - and all of the ones I've found only read/write files to the internal storage paths for the device - nothing is ever written to the more public folders. At least not in any examples I've found.

If that's the case, that's fine, I'll write my own platform specific code for each project for the file IO, but I was really just wondering if PclStorage is even needed in this case.

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• CaseCase USMember ✭✭✭

Thank you. I was having a hard time finding a straight answer. Since my application needs both, there's no point in using pcl storage since I will be implementing the Dependency Services anyways.

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I think with DependencyService you are free to do what you want

• CaseCase USMember ✭✭✭

I just found PclSpecialFolder which says it adds access to platform specific folders such as:
    App, Documents, Temporary, Cache, Music, Videos and Pictures.

I can't find any examples ... but might be worth trying