Issue with LG G3?

wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Xamarin.Android

I've got an XF app that I am writing. I have some devices running Android 4.4, 5.0, and 5.1.1. The system that is running Android 5.0 is an LG G3. The app running on the LG G3 is causing the phone to run hot and to kill the battery. Is there anything about the LG G3 kernel under the covers that could be causing problems? IIRC, ART is the default starting in Android 5.0 and would be a first release in that device. Is there some known issue between the Android Kernel, ART, an XF? Is there any information that I can provide that would be helpful? Entries from monitor/ddms?

Wally

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Essentially you could try to get the ddms logs or look into logcat. I have not heard anything at all specific with this device with any Xamarin.Android apps. Wouldn't be anything specific to Xamarin.Forms as it is just a library. Will move this to the Android forum.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

When Android 5.0 was released, I remember reading a bunch of internet chatter about overheating issues with the LG G2, and G3 models when where were upgraded to Android 5.0. They may have been resolved with Android 5.0.1, but I think that update had more to do with fixing some Android OS memory leaks.

I've ran a couple of LG devices as daily drivers and personally, I think it's an LG problem. The LG Skin on Android has its issues with heat and lag, even on the G4. I don't think it something going on with your code or Xamarin.

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

Thanks @JamesMontemagno & @rmacias :-)

I am back to where I have access to that device. I will run the app and generate some logs, see what terms up, and attempt to post any information I find.

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

I've connected back with the device and tried it for a while. The device is definitely slow running the app, but the app seems to work and there do not seem to be any issues at this time. I'm not quite sure what I have done since the last round of testing. IIRC, the items were:
    1. Took several uses of xamarin forms labs imagebutton control out. There were seven in the app, but these have been changed to use a set of basic controls from just xamarin forms to get the same effect. This no longer generates the out of emory error that I had posted about previously.
    2. Made sure that everything was up to date. This included components, the android sdk, xamarin stuff.
    3. There were some messages that were flying around in the app. They should only have been triggered in one situation. Given the state of the code that I took over, one never knows. :-/

I'll post more if I get some more info. At least the app is running, even if it is slow.

• JillianJillian MXMember ✭✭

Following are best tips to fix hot temperature of LG Phones:
    To avoid that, lower CPU frequency. If you tried all the solutions and you still experiencing LG G3 overheating issues, do a factory reset, but first back up your files. Go to Settings > General > Backup & Reset, then tap on Factory Data reset > Reset phone > Erase everything.
    And check LG G3 Manual for battery draining troubleshooting.