"Debug" version of app works, but "Release" wont work?

TO-PlusTO-Plus USMember
edited February 2016 in Xamarin.Forms

So in my app i download a zipp file with pictures, extract them and show them - everything works perfectly on Android - Also the release version on the play store.

In regards to the IOS app i have some problems. When i test it in Debug mode on my phone/simulator it works - no problems at all. Uploaded it to the store, it got passed by the apple people, but when i download the app, the pictures wont show. From my Mac computer i tried running the app in release mode on the simulator, but again it wont work in release mode.

Is there anyone here who knows anything about this and how to make the release mode work the same way as debug mode?? I'm totally stuck :S

• GeraldVersluisGeraldVersluis NLUniversity ✭✭✭✭

These problems are hard to solve. Especially for an outsider because we have no clue as to what APIs or code you are using.
    Also collecting details about any error is hard because iOS is not a very open platform.

What you could do as a first step is to incorporate Insights and log some warnings and/or errors from there. Maybe that provides you with some useful information.
    Another way to at least detect this before your app is launched is to first launch it in TestFlight. This way you have a representation of the file that is going to be your final version. Check that for yourself on a physical device and see if the error occurs. If you're satisfied you can push it through to release.

Besides that I'm afraid there isn't much more you can do, but just look at your code ad experiment a bit with the places where you reckon things go wrong. Tweak that a little, send it to TestFlight, and test on your device.

• TO-PlusTO-Plus USMember

Thanks for the response!

Yea i figured that it will just be me "trying" to figure this out by myself. Hopefully someone will reply who have had a similar experience.

@GeraldVersluis The testflight is on "virtual devices" right - Never used it. Can yo lead me in the right direction, as to how i do it?

• GeraldVersluisGeraldVersluis NLUniversity ✭✭✭✭

I think you have TestCloud and TestFlight confused :smile:

TestCloud is the Xamarin service for testing your app. Which is actually on physical devices to test the most accurate scenario.
    But TestFlight is the beta service from Apple. It is in your Apple developer console. You can upload a build to TestFlight, add beta testers etc. and you (and others if you wish) can beta test the app on you own devices first.

The scenario with TestFlight is the most accurate to releasing your app in the App Store.
    It's a quick way to test it the problem is resolved or not.

• TO-PlusTO-Plus USMember

@GeraldVersluis Thanks dude! I'll look into it. :)

Keep the help coming - if i find the solution i will post it.

• hvaughanhvaughan USMember ✭✭✭

Have you tried debugging the app in release mode? What sort of release mode settings do you have turned on (such as: Linker, LLVM compiling, etc.)? Do you see any errors or are you sure that the picture are actually being downloaded to the phone in release mode?

• MommMomm USMember ✭✭✭

Where are these pictures? Bundled in the app or you get them from the web?

How are you refering them in your XAMLs (or code)?

• TroelsThistedTroelsThisted DKMember ✭✭
    edited February 2016

@hvaughan said:
    Have you tried debugging the app in release mode? What sort of release mode settings do you have turned on (such as: Linker, LLVM compiling, etc.)? Do you see any errors or are you sure that the picture are actually being downloaded to the phone in release mode?

I'm in the process of trying to debug in release mode. As far as i can see my Linker behavior is set to Don't Link and i have not checked the "use the LLVM optimizing compiler" mark. As far as i can see, both the Debug and the Release is set in the exact same way.

I'm not getting any errors at all and i don't know if they are being downloaded... In the process of trying to debug and check manually. @hvaughan

edited February 2016

@Momm said:
    Where are these pictures? Bundled in the app or you get them from the web?

How are you refering them in your XAMLs (or code)?

Bundled in a ZIP file that i download and extract - after that they are just being posted to the view from the C# code as follows:

Image img = new Image();
    ImageSource source = ImageSource.FromStream(() => new MemoryStream(arr));
    img.Source = source;
    spContent.Children.Add(img);

I found the solution:
    When i debugged in IOS i had checked every codeset in internationalization under IOS Build! This was not checked in the release version!

• @TroelsThisted You saved me. I had the same issue revolving around an iOS file zipper. I had set the internationalization to west in the debug under iOS Builder settings. Never would have thought that switching over to release version would reset everything to default. Thanks

@christopherregula said:
    @TroelsThisted You saved me. I had the same issue revolving around an iOS file zipper. I had set the internationalization to west in the debug under iOS Builder settings. Never would have thought that switching over to release version would reset everything to default. Thanks

Glad I could provide you with a answer dude! :)