nothing loads in a workbook

I am using:
xamarin workbooks 1.0.0.0
windows 10
visual studio 2017 (I included xamarin plugin)

I can not load successfully any workbook. I tried the suggested hyper-v trick but it's unable to connect anyway.

The only thing that seems to work is WPF, but there is no text loaded, and in view inspector I can move only a rectangle. Console is loading forever, android is unable to connect (it starts the emulator though, and emulator can connect to internet(I saw this was the case in one question.)).

I do not know where to get the log from xamarin workbooks program I can only find the visual studio logs for xamarin.

I honestly do not know what to add to be helpful if you could guide what to add to be more specific.

Best Answers

Answers

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

Workbook client logs are located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Inspector\logs\ (see https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/inspector/install/#Reporting_Bugs).

The only thing that seems to work is WPF, but there is no text loaded, and in view inspector I can move only a rectangle.

Are you creating a new workbook or opening one that you downloaded somewhere? New workbooks do not have any text to start. You need to add your own.

Similarly, new workbooks only show a single rectangle in the view inspector because you have not added anything to the empty WPF window with your workbook code.

Console is loading forever

How long have you waited? In 1.0., it can take several seconds on a fast machine to start a Console workbook. Maybe on a machine with a slow disk it could take even longer? Try waiting a full minute.

We have improved start times in the upcoming 1.1 release.

android is unable to connect

Hopefully the client logs will help answer what's going on here.

• Here is the log file(too long to paste here, and I don't know what is actually important there to crop the rest):

http://www.filedropper.com/xamarininspector2017-01-11

Are you creating a new workbook or opening one that you downloaded somewhere? New workbooks do not have any text to start. You need to add your own. Similarly, new workbooks only show a single rectangle in the view inspector because you have not added anything to the empty WPF window with your workbook code.

I am using samples from official site so my guess would be to see something there. When I create or open workbook there is just "Loading workbook ..." on the bottom for infinity (I left it for half an hour to load). I tried to use it on laptop, but it's the same problem.

I am using samples from official site

What samples, exactly?

Also, when trying Android, what exact emulator is being launched? Is it ARM by any chance? You should install HAXM, delete any ARM emulator devices you have, and switch to x86. I'll look into providing better error messages when the only emulators available are ARM (which are not supported by Android workbooks).

• I use those. I am on ARM but anyway It should at least run on wpf or console, and nothing is working. So it's not android emulator issue.

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/workbooks/samples/

What exact WPF workbook file are you trying to open? Can you provide your log file after trying to open it?

Can you take a screenshot of what you see? Do any error messages pop up?

• The solution was to install visual studio 2015 build tools. Strange but works.

@PawelWasilewski strange indeed, thanks for that information. We'll investigate and figure out what's causing that.

• ba.devba.dev USMember

I'm having the same problem, but installing VS 2015 build tools does not help.
    Just says, "Loading workbook", but never loads...

Log from welcome.workbook:

[Info][00:00:00.0100061] AppSession (.ctor): Starting Xamarin Inspector client @ C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\1661\1f3067d3\source\inspector\Clients\Xamarin.Interactive.Client\AppSession.cs:50
    [Info][00:00:01.4684541] MessageViewController (LogMessage): PushMessage => Status: Loading workbook… @ C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\1661\1f3067d3\source\inspector\Clients\Xamarin.Interactive.Client\Messages\MessageViewController.cs:98
    [Info][00:00:01.5838432] UpdaterService (CheckForUpdatesInBackground): checking for updates @ C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\1661\1f3067d3\source\inspector\Clients\Xamarin.Interactive.Client\Client\Updater\UpdaterService.cs:61
    [Info][00:00:02.1943443] UpdaterService (CheckForUpdatesInBackground): no updates are available @ C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\1661\1f3067d3\source\inspector\Clients\Xamarin.Interactive.Client\Client\Updater\UpdaterService.cs:70

• Rudolf_KRudolf_K USMember

NOTE: The following procedure is a workaround. Generally, one should not just copy a dll into the Global Assembly Cache (GAC). There might be unexpected side effects! Use at your own risk!

Possible fix in case Xamarin Workbooks (2016, version "1.0.0.0" for Windows) hangs at "loading workbook":
    1. Close Xamarin Workbooks.
    2. Check if the directory "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.mshtml\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a" exists. If it does not exist, you can try the following:
    3. Create the directory "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.mshtml\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
    4. From "C:\Program Files (x86)\Xamarin\Workbooks\Client", copy the file "Microsoft.mshtml.dll" to the created directory.
    5. Done. Try to open a workbook in Xamarin Workbooks.

This fixed the problem in my case. It seems that Xamarin Workbooks requires that dll to reside outside its own directory.

HINT: Alternatively, you could also install the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Developer Pack" and create the dll by using: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0A\bin\NETFX 4.6.2 Tools\TlbImp.exe" mshtml.tlb "/out:C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.mshtml\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.mshtml.dll" /namespace:mshtml /asmversion:7.0.3300.0
    ATTENTION: This is still a workaround. The only difference is that the created dll is based on the existing tlb.

• Well thanks a lot, haven't been here for a while to mark it as answered.

Hope you will sort it soon.

• abockabock USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

@PawelWasilewski @Rudolf_K this should be fixed in our recently released 1.1 version. Would you mind confirming?

Thanks for reporting the issue - the fix we landed is in direct response to the findings this thread.

@abock: yes, the issue has been fixed now. I installed XamarinInteractive-1.1.1.0.msi on a fresh Windows and the demo workbook worked as expected. Great work, thanks!

Note that I had to install .NET framework 4.6.2 (with the Windows default .NET 4.5, Xamarin Workbooks crashed at startup with the message "has stopped working").

@Rudolf_K Thanks for the additional report. What version of Windows are you running? Our installer has a .NET 4.6 check but clearly it's not working the way it should.

@SandyArmstrong - I used a trial VM for Windows Server 2012 R2, because I just wanted to test some software. I guess it is not the typical environment.

That's fine, just curious. :-)