Could I change the color scheme of Xamarin's interface?(not the code editor)

The Xamarin's user interface is way too light when I use a dark color scheme in editor. It makes the toolbar/pads catch my eye.

Look this:

Practically this diminished the point of custom color scheme because you take the benefit of any dark color scheme, like Monakai.

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai

The color scheme can't be changed right now, but that's something we may support in the future.

• HughCassarHughCassar USMember
    edited June 2013

You can always go to the VS2012 scheme editor create a scheme there and import in xamarin

or choose a scheme from here
    http://studiostyl.es/

But that again just changes the editor and not the interface for xamarin...

• PhilippeCreytensPhilippeCreytens BEMember

bump!
    has this been supported already or is this still something for the future?
    Thanks

• NoamOfekNoamOfek ILUniversity

What Philippe said

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

We don't yet have definite plans to implement this. If it's important to you, please vote for it on UserVoice.

• RichardHopkinsRichardHopkins JPMember, University ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

@mhutch‌

How many votes does something need? It currently has 370 plus 28 more in a different vote (so nearly 400) which from a relatively small community is a pretty decent expression of support.

Given that it is already, by a considerable margin the most popular (Xamarin Studio) request on UserVoice, this begs the questions:

1. What is the point of UserVoice if the top voted item results in "no plans to implement it"?

2. At what point does "vote for it on UserVoice" just become the stock response for "we don't care, but here's a site you can go to so you'll stop bothering us..." ?

3. How many votes does a suggestion need before Xamarin takes it seriously?

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited August 2014

@‌RichardHopkins the answer is "it depends". UserVoice affects prioritization of features but they still have to happen in the context of our other ongoing work (bugfixing, iOS 8 support, Android L support, etc) and available XS dev resources.

By "no definite plans" I just meant it's not in our current schedule for the next few months, not that we don't want to do it.

• Would love to see something similar to IntelliJs Darcula theme for XS. It would be sheer awesome.

• tomtominctomtominc USMember

Has this been added to the plans yet?
    I feel like this wouldn't be that hard to do it would just be some color options and a couple default interface setups.

How many votes does the interface change really need?

I mean it has 543 votes now...

Does the UserVoice really even matter? Why would I even vote on something if you guys are just going to do whatever you want anyways. I just don't see the point.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

I'm pretty sure this is in the works for 6.0

• jeff.albanojeff.albano USMember ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I guess on cases like developers that have eyesight issues like mine, the white background really puts a strain on my eyes big time. Though i can still code for long enough, i still get tired too early working only a few hours because of this eye strain color issue.

Visual studio dark theme on the other hand, and other dark themes for other editors, really helped us a lot to be more productive and efficient. Its not that we want or like it, but because we needed this for us to work longer also.

Cheers!

• jeff.albanojeff.albano USMember ✭✭

Anyway, for the mean time, you can change the code editor colors only. Find it on
    Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> Syntax Highlighting.

I am currently just auto hiding the editor panes so just to minimize the white background.

Many developers will be delighted if a full editor theme can be changed as well.

We know that Xamarin guys have a lot of things to do. While they are doing a very good and excellent job, we might well as wait for this feature.

• LonnieWatsonLonnieWatson USMember
    edited April 2015

This is sorely needed... Forced to do IOS development on VS and use the networked mac to build for IOS. Would love to just use the Mac itself and run Xamarin Studio in it... I know its nitpicky but still... The Light it burns it......

• BenDodsonBenDodson USMember ✭✭

I would really like to see this, since for some reason the most recent update of Xamarin Studio makes the search result scrollbar marker a completely invisible yellow.

• bradmbradm AUMember ✭✭✭

@jstedfast Any word on if this pretty sure is a definitely sure yet?

With 776 votes (keeping in mind that isn't 776 people, that is 776 people who found out what uservoice is and actually managed to vote) seems pretty important. Is currently the #1 ranked thing on the Xamarin uservoice list.

Being able to change the editor window to being dark is 110% useless when you have blindingly bright solution exporter and application output window below it. Whole IDE needs a dark theme.

In saying that though I know Xamarin are hard at work making their IDE the best it can be. If it was as simple as adjusting some color settings on a Friday afternoon and pushing a build out on Friday night then this would have been done long ago. I'm sure everyone appreciates where things have come from since the Mono Develop days.

• bradmbradm AUMember ✭✭✭

Just a bump from last post, is 827 now.

• allen.8290allen.8290 USMember

really look forward to it

• IainSmithIainSmith GBUniversity ✭✭

Awesome cant wait!

• PeterAjtaiPeterAjtai USMember

+1 for this.

• MinimitchMinimitch AUMember

I almost cried when I installed v6.0, just got the dark theme installed. Very happy!

• HenryAleHenryAle USMember

This is now available in the alpha update channel!

• jzeferinojzeferino USUniversity ✭✭
    edited April 2016

@henryAle said:
    This is now available in the alpha update channel!

awesome.

• emilonrajeshemilonrajesh USMember ✭✭

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error Reason: C:\Users\Ascendssoft\AppData\Local\Xamarin\zips\F16A3455987DBAE5783F058F19F7FCDF.zip is not a valid zip file RecyclerViewTut C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets 387

..I have thios problwm.. Could you please help ..
    ia mnew to xamarin

• emilonrajeshemilonrajesh USMember ✭✭

I almost got 14 errors.. Its been two weeks I am still solving the errors.. Could any one please help me..

• AdamHumanAdamHuman USMember
    edited February 2017

Dark Grey would be much better