file names too long

tatmantatman ✭✭USMember ✭✭

how do I get rid of these temporary files?

F:\temp\Xamarin\DocSet\com.apple.adc.documentation.AppleiOS8.1.iOSLibrary.docset\Contents\Resources\
1\1\clm\5>ren "animateKeyframesWithDuration(NSTimeInterval)delay(NSTimeInterval)options(UIViewKeyfra
meAnimationOptions)animations(()-Void)completion(((Bool)-_Void)).xml" 1
The filename or extension is too long.

seriously a bad decision to install files like this guys. I am very disappointed.

Tagged:

• tatmantatman ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

Here's a work around

• FredyWengerFredyWenger ✭✭✭✭✭ CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@MatthewRaffel:

Thanks for your posting.
    I have the problem with the (too) long filenames, if I want to make a backup of my whole project (simply copy with file-explorer) from my project-drive (which is on a fileshare on a server) to my local (D:/-drive),
    Especially in the android-project there are some (automatically generated) files with unbelievable (long) filenames.
    First I have created a meaningful directory on my D-Drive (E.G, \SavesAppName\2015_10_05) and tried to copy the root, what was not possible( "filename jwwdejdj2.dhwgeihweh.wekjwewe") is to long.
    I ended up to make the path on D as short as possible.
    According to your posting, robocopy should be able to handle the longer filenames (I will check it out, as soon as I find the time), but:
    If the file-explorer cannot handle the filenames... what about Visual Studio...?
    So I think (fear), that we also have to expect problems with VS, as soon as the filename (including path) becomes to long...

• yuliareeyuliaree USMember

I had this problem for a long time.
    My friend recommended me Long Path Tool for fixing this.
    I am skeptic with this king of tool but I was wrong.
    This tool can do anything.

You can downloaded on http://longpathtool.com/.
    You wont regret.

• eden100eden100 PKMember

Use Long Path Tool, Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.

• fosterfoster MXMember

Hello,

I had the same problem. I didn´t know what to do so I searched on the internet for some solutions.

And I read about [b]Long Path Tool[/b], which is a great tool in these type of cases. :o

It worked really well. Hope it works for you too :p

• ankdas9090ankdas9090 INMember

Shortening the name is just one simple thing you can do or you can shift these files to another directory but here is the catch, you can't do this for all the files. If you really want to get rid of this issue totally, you should try GS Richcopy 360. It has helped me a lot in file transfer, backup and FTP too. Hope it helps!