Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Unable to debug

Joshua.R.RussoJoshua.R.Russo USUniversity ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Xamarin.iOS

I have an old project that I'm coming back to and I'm not able to successfully start an iOS simulator. I'm primarily developing the project on Windows with Visual Studio 2015. The project is a Forms project and I'm able to debug the Android side of things without any problem.

When I try to debug the iOS app the new Windows iOS Simulator comes up but just sits on Connecting to Mac... I've left it running for about an hour and it doesn't seem to do anything.

When I tried to install the seeming re-branded Xamarin Studio a la Visual Studio for Mac, I get an error about a missing mcs.exe file.

Thoughts?

• Joshua.R.RussoJoshua.R.Russo USUniversity ✭✭

Are there log files that would be useful to debug the Windows iOS Simulator side?

edited January 2017

So, the Remote Simulator to Windows was not working at all. When I unchecked it in the iOS Settings options, I was successfully able to debug the app, having the simulator run on the Mac.

I finally found a solution to the msc.exe not found problem on the Mac. I removed the following section from the project file of each of the projects because it didn't exist when I create a new solution.

<PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Platform)' != 'Unix'">
      <CscToolPath>$(MSBuildProgramFiles32)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin</CscToolPath>
    </PropertyGroup>

This section isn't created in new project files for new solutions.