SignalR component

Hi all,

I am on the verge of implementing the SingalR client into my Android app, but I can't find the component in the store.

On github it states:
Added support for MonoTouch and MonoDroid components. For more information on how to use them see Using Xamarin Components.
These components will ship in the Xamarin Store when SignalR 2.0 is RTW.

I also see these branches coming by:
https://github.com/SignalR/SignalR/tree/xamarin-package

But where is the actual package? Do I have to get a copy from Github? Is that the stable 2.0 release?

• I worked with SignalR a few months ago but ran into issues with incompatible versions of SignalR on the client and Server. You will also require version 2.0 of SignalR. I suggest copying the repo and add the SignalR project to your Xamatin solution file. Or you could build in release mode and add the dlls to your project. Let me know how you get on as I also want to use SignalR in a IOS project.

• ZacharyGramanaZacharyGramana USMember Xamurai

@Rogier21 I've been working with the SignalR team to get the component put together. It's heading down the home stretch, and it should be released very soon. If you want to use it before the component is live, you'll have to get it from github. You've discovered the right branch. Achievement unlocked. ;)

• yeah @Zack finding these illusive branches is quite a task. Maybe we need an IOS app for it! :-)

Ha, well, @arnoldkrumins, you're digging through WIP so caveat emptor.

• Rogier21Rogier21 NLMember
    edited November 2013

Ok @Zack thanks. I will use the repo for now. Any plans for putting it in the Xamarin store?

Problem is that I see commits coming by from 1 day ago, meaning it is a development branch, but I would really like to use a stable release and not a dev release.

Do you have perhaps a small description how to build the branch? I have no experience with MSbuild, but I can't build it now because I don't have the W8 dependencies on my dev pc (W7). And I don't really understand what the project Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.Android does because it says there is a file missing in the project :(

@Rogier21, That branch exists solely to get a SignalR component onto the Xamarin Component Store. I would strongly encourage you to wait for it to arrive officially on the store. I understand that you want it now, and if you really cannot wait, then just download these assemblies and add them to your iOS or Android project manually (as they are PCL libs).

• mikeberlinmikeberlin USInsider, Beta, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

Any chance thes DLLs you link to can be used in a PCL @zack? I'm trying right now but keep receiving the following error when attempting to create a new HubConnection object (see attached image).

Also, is the component still going to be put in the store soon?

• mikeberlinmikeberlin USInsider, Beta, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

Found out the issue. If you're searching around here's what solved it for me:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/41872/#Comment_41872

• boogyboogy LTMember

@Zack,
    does the component include websockets functionality? I tried to compile different signalR projects from github, but it seeems that the one with websockets (SignalR.Client45) is not compatible for xamarin.

• BrettNagy.4000BrettNagy.4000 USMember

Hi @Zack - any updates on the official SignalR component or the state of the GitHub repo if we have to compile ourselves?
    Thanks

• Rogier21Rogier21 NLMember

@Zack, it's great that you tell me to wait, but it has been 6 months. Can you please give a timeframe when it will be officially released to the store?

• JonathanDickJonathanDick CAXamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@Rogier21 we've sent a pull request to SignalR to help them get the component published. Just waiting on them to merge and go ahead :)

• crathermelcrathermel USMember
    edited October 2014

@Redth‌ @Rogier21 @Zach Any news on SignalR websockets support? I know this is probably a dead horse but looking to get a status update or help finish it up if possible.

• JonathanDickJonathanDick CAXamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@crathermel this is still being worked on internally afaik. I believe there are some bugs relating to the mono WebSockets implementation at this point...

• JasonBSteeleJasonBSteele USUniversity ✭✭

I'm also interested in getting a SignalR client with websockets response. Where's the best place to track the progress on this? Thanks.

• JuanCarlosUsquianoJuanCarlosUsquiano COMember, University ✭✭

has anybody here some simple example running? i have the package installed but it is not connecting to hub.

• hermannhermann USMember ✭✭

Is there any "hello world" server out there running, that we could use test http and https connections?

• KatoMarkhusKatoMarkhus USMember ✭✭

Hi Everyone! About to dive into this issue - any updates on the matter?

Thanks for any information you may have on this issue.

until it's solved, life continues - somehow! K.