New Xamarin Forms Blank App Hangs Visual Studio 2017 RC

dapugdapug ✭✭USMember ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Xamarin.Forms

I can't possibly be the first to notice this, but I haven't found mention of it. Try this:

1. File/New Project
  2. Cross Platform App, but UNCHECK "Create directory for solution"
  3. Blank App (Xaml)
  4. Everything default (Forms app, Shared project, etc)
  5. Click Accept, watch it hang...

Sometimes it will create just the shared project, sometimes it will create both shared and droid projects. But no matter what, VS stalls... no iOS project, no completed solution. I would expect this behavior in a top, key feature in a beta, but not an RC; scary. I didn't believe it, so I had to try this on 2 completely separate machines.

Interestingly (and thankfully), if you let VS create the solution directory it seems to create all the projects successfully, but VS still hangs without loading them. You can close and reload it. Strange though, it created a WinPhone folder, empty, and didn't add that to the solution.

It's all wonky.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent ✭✭✭✭✭ USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to use the feedback feature of Visual Studio 2017RC to report this. Its nice to mention it here so others don't spend hours wondering if they are the only one. But to put it on their radar to be fixed it needs to be reported through their system.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan Xamurai USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
    edited January 2017

Hey @dapug,

Thanks for the report! We're actually in the process of completely replacing the wizard and templates that you see in Visual Studio 2017 RC. We've refined the templates based on community feedback. I'll be sure to follow-up here when the new wizard/templates are available (hopefully next beta refresh).

Thanks,
    Pierce Boggan

Edit - As @ClintStLaurent says, the "Report Feedback" feature in Visual Studio 2017 RC is excellent. It's a nice streamlined way to get bug reports / feedback like this. :smile: