Forum General

H/W Requriements for Develpment Environment

leol.1052leol.1052 USMember

Dear Support,

I've been following up with Xamarin for quite long time, however I'm still struggling with my development environment setup today. I've tried all my computers, including Toshiba/Sony/Dell laptops and HP All-in-one computer, but all of them have hardware problems here and there, such as hyper-v. So, really need your help with specs of the hardware requirements for setting up a development environment.

1. Hardware requirements for the computer running VS2015 on Windows10. If you can provide with certain particular brands and models, it will definitely help.

2. For MAC computer, what's your recommendation? (Just to make it clear, I'm not running Visual Studio on MAC. )

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Leo

Best Answer

Answers

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Windows - I use the first-generation Surface Book for almost all of my development and haven't had any hardware-related restrictions or issues. With this setup, I also turn off Hyper-V and install Intel HAXM for accelerated Android emulators. For UWP, I almost always deploy to the "Local Machine" target, which doesn't have the strict requirement on Hyper-V, unlike other emulators. If you get this machine, James Montemagno wrote a great guide on setup.

Mac - This really all depends on how much iOS development you're doing. I've done development on an older Mac Mini before without issue (as long as it can run the latest Xcode, you're good). That being said, if you are going to be doing lots of iOS development, it might be worth investing in a newer Mac Mini or even a MacBook.

• leol.1052leol.1052 USMember

Thank you Pierce for the reply. Other than Surface Book, are there any more choices when I'm shopping around? Or, what specs should I check particularly?

Warm Regards,
    Leo

• DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

@leol.1052 the biggest consideration is disk space. I have a Mac mini with 256GB SSD and it's almost always nearly full. The OS uses > 150GB, Xamarin is > 50GB, Android SDK is as many GB as you download images for (can be > 20GB easily) and Xcode is > 10GB with all simulators. If you also download documentation it's even more than that. On Windows you have similar problems except I think the OS is bigger.

Unfortunately the larger SSDs are still quite pricey so for best bang-for-buck you may find a "fusion"-type drive is good, where you have a small SSD as cache for a large spinning disk.

Next after that is RAM. On Windows, 16GB is a minimum. On Mac, you can get away with 8GB but more is better.

CPU is the least of your worries. Compiling and building with Xamarin/Mono doesn't take advantage of lots of cores (= hard technical problem) so whether you have 4, 8, 12 or more is not so relevant. The other factors will affect you far more.

Access to fast internet will help a lot because we're almost always downloading something huge when we have to do updates, and we have to do updates a lot just to keep up to date.

• leol.1052leol.1052 USMember
    Accepted Answer

Thank you David