xamarin gets worse each day

I am a Xamarin developer for 7 years. Today I made one decision, leave Xamarin. His IDE is getting worse each day, the visual designer crashes on minimum change. Keeps caching old components names and take hours to develope a single View Controller. The constraints never works and you have to refreshs the designer every time to see your changes. I can wrote a book here with all dificulties. I'm very disaponit with this tool that one day in the past was good.

Answers

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@FbioRigotti.3688
    I can feel your pain (feel the same and can commit your findings) and don't understand how this can be... :disappointed:

See also here: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/78618/abandoning-xamarin-forms
    And here: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/41588/how-to-make-forms-stable/p3
    And....
    Still hope, that things become better (as you know... the hope dies last)

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited January 2017

If by chance there are a couple particular scenarios where you consistently hit issues with the designer, bug reports to describe those scenarios would be excellent, if you get a chance. I ran a quick search for existing bug reports you might have filed and didn’t find any straight away, but it’s quite possible they are filed under a different user name.

As some quick first checks before filing new bug reports, does any of the following match up with what you’re seeing? (If so, be sure to include that info in the bug report too.)

• Are the issues present in the latest Cycle 9 RC builds in Beta?
    • Which designer (iOS, Android, Forms Previewer) is crashing, and in which IDE?
    • Is there already a matching Bugzilla report?
    • If you’ve noticed, does the crash behavior also seem to happen in new template projects or usually only in some specific existing projects?
    • Do any 'xamarin' tagged Stack Overflow posts match the behavior?

If you’re not planning to file a bug at the moment and you’re thinking about switching to developing directly in Xcode, one intermediate step to consider would be to use the Xcode synchronization feature in Xamarin Studio on Mac. This would allow you to keep using your existing C# code base but switch to designing the storyboards in Xcode.

Of course if you decide to switch away from C#, we'd be sorry to see you go, but we'd look forward to welcoming you back at any time!

• rob8861rob8861 USMember ✭✭

I certainly feel your pain. After learning that Xamarin lead us on with fake promises like "a mobile solution for all developers" and then making their simulator available to V.S Enterprise only, I realized the greediness is only going to get worse - so I switched.
    Xcode 8 design experience has improved immensely and swift is really easy to pick up. Overall I'm pretty happy because CocoaPods has loads of very useful libs that make your development experience a much smoother one.
    Regarding the above suggestion by Ashley to use the Xcode sync feature in Xamain Studio, I tried it and it's really not worth your time and effort. You'll end up spending more time debugging and tweaking the toolset then actually working on your project. Beside, who wants to have two applications open, one for designing and one for coding and then you need to make sure they sync correct. Last time I checked, it was 2017, not 1999.

It might sound as a rant (probably is), but Xamarin, truly has a HUGE potential to become a great tool for mobile developers who love C#, as much as I do. Sadly, Microsoft invests its money and engineering hours on useless projects like UWP and .NET Core which nobody cares about, or use. It's time they funnel money into real projects like Xamain and make it a competitive product.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

The iOS designer is nasty, was using it during my certification training and it doesn't work, Cycle 9 is supposed to fix these issues though, I'm glad I'm not doing native iOS though.

My biggest issue is that Cycle8 'stable' crashes 4-5 a day randomly in VS2015 causing VS2015 to shutdown, in UWP when trying to deploy to a hardware device it's much worse.

I can't test cycle 9 beta as it breaks the iOS and Android project integration for VS2015.

We're committed to the platform (and when everything works it's awesome), they need to improve the tooling though. They focus to much on Mac IMHO, the VS integration currently isn't good.

• MartHughMartHugh USMember ✭✭✭

Also struggling with Visual Studio Enterprise since I added Xamarin. The Visual Studio Emulator for Android seems to add logical network adapters, and these disconnect two or three times a day leaving me without VPN or internet, forcing me to do a reboot. It's all as flakey as hell.