VS for Mac - can't run XF.iOS on Simulator or registered Device

The solution compiles ok; runs on the Android Emulator. Created a new project and same issues.

When I click the run button, it hangs on Deploying to Device. There are no entries in the "Deploying to Device" log window. The Simulator doesn't even start. I created an AppID in the AAPL dev portal with the reverse domain.

This is the 3rd app I tried to build - first worked ok w/o issues. The next two, not so much.

Are there any logs I can look into?

macOS Sierra 10.12.2 (16C68)
VS Version Preview 2 (7.0 build 560)

Xamarin.iOS
Version: 10.3.1.7 (Visual Studio Enterprise)
Hash: 8b53676
Branch: cycle8-xi
Build date: 2016-12-18 12:23:27-0500

Xamarin.Android
Version: 7.0.2.42 (Visual Studio Enterprise)
Android SDK: /Users/martenliebster/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
Supported Android versions:
6.0 (API level 23)
7.0 (API level 24)

SDK Tools Version: 25.2.5
SDK Platform Tools Version: 25.0.3
SDK Build Tools Version: 25.0.2

Best Answer

Answers

• MartenLiebMartenLieb USMember

At the end of the Build output there's this:

Target _CollectFrameworks:
    CollectFrameworks Task
    AppBundlePath: bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/QV.iOS.app/
    No Frameworks directory found.
    Done building project "/Users/martenliebster/Projects/QV/iOS/QV.iOS.csproj".

Build succeeded.
    0 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:05.2794120

edited January 2017

If bring up the app that used to work, and try to run the app in the simulator - it builds and then nothing. The button goes right back to the Arrow. No errors, no popups, no nothing.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai
    edited January 2017

@MartenLieb

I commented again on the So post for this issue, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41745581/vs-for-mac-cant-run-xf-ios-on-simulator-or-registered-device .

As I requested there, can you share the bug report link that you said you reported so I can investigate further?

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@MartenLieb,

This is really the better place for this type of issue as Stack Overflow is more for coding questions, not issues with IDE tools. As such I am going to post further responses here and not on SO.

That said, the "Report a problem" info gets sent to an internal MS site, but should get moved to Bugzilla eventually.

I just tried to reproduce the described issue on my end, but a new from template Xamarin.Forms solution worked as expected and I was able to deploy to iOS simulator and device. I am going to see if I can find your report.

@JGoldberger Well, I put it on SO, as I received only a few views and no responses here... (there are many many many many threads around here with little or no responses, even years later).

At first it worked well, but after what got foo bared got foo bared, it stopped working. My guess it's somewhere in the quagmire of appl certs. But since I can't seem to find logging from the simulator, device, etc, it's hard for me to track down.

edited January 2017

Found your report. There is not anything really actionable in there unfortunately. I wouldn't think it is an Apple certs/profiles issue as that usually results in a code signing error in the build output, but you never know. In Apple's web portal, are all of your certs and profiles shown as "valid"?

In your report you said you had a solution that was working fine, and then you started a new one and the deploy to sim./device for iOS broke for all iOS projects. Is this correct? Did you update or do anything else that might have affected things?

Also I see you are on VS for Mac Preview 2. I would try installing Preview 3, which you should be able to do with the "Visual Studio->Check for updates" menu. Can you let me know if updating to Preview 3 helps? You may also want to open Xamarin Studio and make sure you are updated to the Alpha channel. In Xamarin Studio, you can switch the update channel with the Xamarin Studio->Check for Updates… menu, choosing Stable, Beta, or Alpha in the drop down next to Update Channel and then clicking the Switch Channel button.

Let me know what you find.

edited January 2017

@MartenLieb

@MartenLieb said:
    @JGoldberger Well, I put it on SO, as I received only a few views and no responses here... (there are many many many many threads around here with little or no responses, even years later).

That's fine, just trying to conglomerate. Please keep using the @JGoldberger for any further responses so I get an email notification of your response. Thanks!

At first it worked well, but after what got foo bared got foo bared, it stopped working. My guess it's somewhere in the quagmire of appl certs. But since I can't seem to find logging from the simulator, device, etc, it's hard for me to track down.

Perhaps, but as noted in my last response, please try VS for MC preview 3.

@JGoldberger I updated VS for Mac last night, but went back to my PC - I understand there's issues to be worked out as it's a preview, but I had a project to work on.

I will try again tonight on the Mac, as I've not tried since the upgrade. Is there anywhere else I can try to look for logging info (will also check my Dev Portal page).

FWIW - I run the simulator and debg on the iPhone just fine when going PC -> (wifi) -> Mac build host -> (usb) -> iPhone.

edited January 2017

@MartenLieb

OK, let me know what you find. It is likely that Vs on Windows is still using settings in Xamarin Studio rather than Visual Studio for Mac. Based on the message "No Frameworks directory found." this may be that you do not have the iOS SDK location set properly in VS for Mac. Please check the following in Vs for Mac:

1. Open VS for Mac.
    2. Open the Preferences (Visual Studio->Preferences)
    3. Expand the Projects section on the left of the Preferences Window.
    4. Expand the SDK Locations section.
    5. Select Apple in the SDK Locations section.
    6. Make sure that the Apple SDK path is set correctly (should have a green checkmark)

Also logs for VS for Mac can be found at path:
    /Users//Library/Logs/VisualStudio
    Might be good to see if there is any useful info in the ide.log files. Feel free to zip those logs up and attach to your response.

In the meantime, if still having issues, you can always go back to using Xamarin Studio and then downgrade back to the Stable channel.

@JGoldberger
    Brought up the updated VS and the Hanselman demo app. Now it says Xamarin.iOS isn't installed.

@MartenLieb,

Oh, that seems helpful. It would seem you are not updated to the alpha channel. When installing VS for Mac Preview you should select all of the options for install because if you don't you may be left with versions of XI (Xamarin.iOS), Mono, XA (Xamarin.Android), etc that are not compatible with VS for Mac. The current Xamarin stable channel is not compatible with VS for Mac so you either have to open XS (Xamarin Studio) and update to the Alpha channel or run the VS for Mac installer again and install everything. This is the better option I think as the bits being used for VS for Mac may be later builds than those in the Alpha channel for XS.

Switching update channels
    In Xamarin Studio, you can switch the update channel with the Xamarin Studio->Check for Updates… menu, choosing Stable, Beta, or Alpha in the drop down next to Update Channel and then clicking the Switch Channel button.

Let me know if this helps.

edited January 2017

@JGoldberger The other options (ios, droid, mac, etc) were not clickable. I switched to the Alpha, but there were no updates.

@JGoldberger OK - there are several updates, running through them now.

@JGoldberger More betterer! Simulator starts up :)