When will we be able to post components with more platforms (Xamarin.Mac, Windows, WinRT, etc)

It seems crazy that you guys came up with this awesome Component Store but you left out some major platforms. Are we going to see any/all the following platforms any time soon? If not, then I don't think we can sell using your store.

• Xamarin.Mac
  • Windows
  • WinRT
  • MonoMac
  • Silverlight

• ZacharyGramanaZacharyGramana USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited August 2013

You can ship these today. We don't have any tooling integrations, however. That means you have to manually add the assembly references to your project from your solution's
    Components/{component}/lib/{desired_platform} folder. The same goes for sample applications. They will be available in the Components/{component}/samples/{desired_platforms_sample}, but won't show up in the Samples tab.

• KraigMcConaghyKraigMcConaghy USBeta ✭✭

Awesome. Do you think you will be building the tools to add components to projects with those platforms soon?

We don't currently have any plans to do so in the near term.

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

Hi Zack

I know we have discussed it through e-mail, but this idea (I asked the same one) is something that would strengthen Xamarin's position in "sharing code", "cross platform development" even more.

You said that other platforms (desktop (can be used in ASP.net), SL, SL-WP, MonoMac) we should turn to nuget.

It is clear that 70+ people (no matter how good) can do everything Microsoft does for decades with a lot more people, but it is idea worth considering.

Use case I have right now:

Mobile app that uses Xamarin.Auth and Xamarin.Social, but would like to give user option to send data to ASP.net app first and then to fork it to FB, Twitter with the same code (ASP.net code should be the same .net client and non-client profiles are supersets of
    Mono Mobile). This way I could write unit tests for authentication in desktop version of NUnit, so (almost) no need for unit testing on mobile devices or emulators.

Is the idea to team up with MS and nuget team so hard to think of?

@moljac, We like the NuGet team, and admire their work. Even if we wanted to migrate our bits to their bits, however, it would be expensive for us in terms of developer hours. We would be throwing out a lot of existing code that currently works and that's a tough sell.

In addition, we also include some stuff that normal NuGet packages don't, like sample projects, getting started guides, etc. We would have to extend the NuGet manifest's XML schema, and the last time I looked that was on their todo list.

We feel that including binaries and samples for other platforms, even without tooling support, is still useful to our publishers. And the good news is, you can do this today.

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

@Zack: Thanks for Your answer. I was trying to suggest to make xamarin component "superset" of nuget package, sorta to extend it with

1. other platforms
    2. samples
    3. docs

Even if we wanted to migrate our bits to their bits, however, it would be expensive for us in
    terms of developer hours. We would be throwing out a lot of existing code that currently works
    and that's a tough sell.

>

Excellent, feasibility is only reason. Maybe some pint in the future?

In addition, we also include some stuff that normal NuGet packages don't, like sample projects,
    getting started guides, etc. We would have to extend the NuGet manifest's XML schema, and the
    last time I looked that was on their todo list

These samples are really great and do make difference.

Regarding nuget xml schema and todo list: those extensions will they be in XAM direction (allowing multiple platforms?) Just quesiton I guees You have no answer.

We feel that including binaries and samples for other platforms, even without tooling
    support, is still useful to our publishers. And the good news is, you can do this today.

So just adding commandline options like this pair:

--library="mac":"content/bin/%PACKAGE%.MonoMac.dll" ^
        --sample="Sample for MonoMac. %PACKAGE% sample for MonoMac.":"content/samples/%PACKAGE%.MonoMac/%PACKAGE%.MonoMac.sln" ^

great news.