Does Xamarin do any type of unit testing prior to releases?

NealCulinerNealCuliner USBeta ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm curious and hopeful that Xamarin does some type of unit testing or functional testing prior to release to ensure features aren't broken. In the past there seems to always be something broken in a release (STABLE or whatever), such as with Android 4.3 System.TimeZoneInfo is hard broke! Why are we the ones finding this and not you? I've seen linking issues, LLVM issues, etc. and I'm a sum total of ONE.

I would hope there is something you can do whether functional or unit testing, something that tests defined features to ensure they are functioning properly prior to any release. I'm not convinced this is happening and would like to strongly suggest that it does happen. Whether someone has to manually click through a series of buttons or an automated system, but something needs to test extensively.

Please also put resources on Xamarin Studio. It really needs to get some attention and a lot of fixing up. It is the most visible element of what we do and there should be no reason we have to rely on Visual Studio when Xamarin Studio can do just fine. Just too many issues and it's never ending. I really want to see Xamarin Studio tighten down and be much more reliable and trustworthy and not something we have to keep dealing with and being frustrated in using. It's hard to trust it presently.

Thank you. Just sharing my $.02. Quality control needs attention.

• NealCulinerNealCuliner USBeta ✭✭✭

And on another note, has anyone come up with a solution for testing apps in an automated fashion? Maybe something that can run a macro or something that drives a simulator and can test your apps for functionality testing? I know Xamarin has the test cloud which I'm waiting to access, but I would imagine there should be some type of script system we could program to drive an emulator/simulator to functional test our apps. Curious if anyone out there has done anything along this line? Seems like testing apps and/or continuous build integration is a shortfall in app development.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm sure they just don't code and ship. At Evolve, had several beers with a few of their QA guys and had a good chat with them about their testing. They do test, and at the same time, admit they're constantly improving their testing process as the product evolves (no pun intended).

Regarding the Android 4.3 bug that you opened, if you read through the comments, Jonathan posted that he found the issue. It was a change in the underlying Android code from 4.2 to 4.3. Google changed the way TimeZone works underneath the hood. So that broke the Xamarin side of it, in which they will need to update it so that it works "the new way". So I'm not sure why you're blaming Xamarin for that "bug". Read the comments for details on that.

As far as mobile automated testing, check out Calabash. It's what Test Cloud is based off of. It's good stuff.

And I'm sure you release bug free code 100% of the time too. :) So calm down now.

• JasonJensenJasonJensen USUniversity

All my code is 100% of the time 99% functional and bug free...

:)