Managing SignalR Connections in Xamarin.Forms

I recently started experimenting with SignalR for real time updates from a server in Xamarin.Forms. This is my scenario: PageA and PageB both create separate connections in order to receive updates from the server. A user can navigate from PageA to PageB and currently, both connections remain alive.

Questions:
1. Would it be best to disconnect PageA's connection when navigating to PageB and reconnect when PageB is popped off the navigation stack?
2. Should I be using separate connections? (Both use the same HubProxy)
3. When debugging I noticed that there's network activity on the Android client when the app is in the background (I assume this is the case for the iOS client as well). How do I effectively suspend/disconnect all connections when the app is placed in the background and resume/reconnect when it returns to the foreground? How are the Pages/ViewModels made aware of this transition?
4. Similarly, if I use a service like PubNub, where do I place this suspense-resume (subscribe/unsubscribe) logic?

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankLbben

Why would a Page have a connection to anything? A Page shouldn't be aware of the connections or where data comes from: Its not the job of a Page to do that. Its the job of the ViewModel the Page uses for its BindingContext.

The ViewModel should have a DataAccessLayer between it and the actual data. Which in the case comes from a service or database. Later if you change the source of the data you don't have to update 15 ViewModels: You only update the DAL.

The Page then is just a reflection of the data found in a ViewModel.

But Pages shouldn't be aware of the logic or mechanisms, and logic shouldn't be aware of UI.

• I apologize for being unclear. The connections are in my view models and the pages' binding contexts are set to those. By PageA and PageB I was indirectly referring to their view models. Currently, I start the connection in the view model's constructor but I'm unsure of where/when to place supend/resume for when the user navigates to a different page or the app goes into the background.