Reference tree is empty

Hi,

I'm running on Mac OS and whenever I use the profiler, the reference tree is always empty.
I've tried with the latest version 0.38.0 but it doesn't help.
Is it an issue or do I miss something ?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer

Hi @JeremyKolb,

Actually in my case it was not an issue, they changed the way to display the Path to roots.
    From Allocation screen, you need to double click on the class name, which will show you all objects allocated and then you can click on one of the live object to display the Path to roots.

Hope it helps you ;)

Answers

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

References tree is now gone, replaced by 'paths to roots' in the 0.38.0 release. That said, they both use the references tree we generate, now, at the end of the profiling run, and for that, you need to have taken snapshots, which is when we are able to collect references. So:

• Start profiling your app
    • Take snapshot(s)
    • Stop profiling, and go to see the paths to roots for the live objects
  • Jean-Marie.GueirardJean-Marie.Gueirard CHUniversity ✭✭

Thanks for your answer.
    After trying this workflow, looks like there is an issue as Path to roots screen is never updated.
    I checked the logs and found this:

INFO[2016-10-19 17:18:26Z]: Stopping iOS app ch.cooper.dev
    ERROR[2016-10-19 17:20:26Z]: error stopping iOS application
    System.IO.IOException: USB connect timeout (ENODATA), likely because the app failed to launch. Please review device logs and/or crash reports for more information.
      at Xamarin.MacDev.AggregateAsyncResult.CheckError (Boolean cancelled) [0x00034] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3894/22ff34f8/source/profiler/external/maciostools/Xamarin.MacDev.Ide/AggregateAsyncResult.cs:68 
      at Xamarin.MacDev.IPhoneCommandConnection.EndExecuteCommand (IAsyncResult result) [0x0000a] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3894/22ff34f8/source/profiler/external/maciostools/Xamarin.MacDev.Ide/IPhoneCommandConnection.cs:146 
      at Xamarin.MacDev.IPhoneCommandConnection.Stop () [0x0005c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3894/22ff34f8/source/profiler/external/maciostools/Xamarin.MacDev.Ide/IPhoneCommandConnection.cs:448 
      at XamarinProfiler.Core.Platforms.iOS.MTouchRunner.Stop () [0x0002f] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3894/22ff34f8/source/profiler/src/XamarinProfiler.Core/Platforms/iOS/MTouchRunner.cs:209 
    INFO[2016-10-19 17:20:26Z]: Stopping profiler log reader
    INFO[2016-10-19 17:20:26Z]: Stopping profiler log reader
    DEBUG[2016-10-19 17:20:26Z]: thread 530231296 unloaded
    INFO[2016-10-19 17:20:26Z]: Finished
    INFO[2016-10-19 17:20:26Z]: Stopped

I didn't find any more logs in the device logs.

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

hmm, can you share the MLPD (File->Save as) so that I have a look?

Hi Rodrigo,

You can find the file here: http://sky.qxlricardo.com/owncloud/index.php/s/45MiSt63KwRqM3T

It's a simple run, launching the homescreen. Snapshots were made automatically every 5 sec.

• JeremyKolbJeremyKolb USMember ✭✭✭

I'm seeing the same thing. The Paths to Roots is empty.

Accepted Answer

Hi @JeremyKolb,

Actually in my case it was not an issue, they changed the way to display the Path to roots.
    From Allocation screen, you need to double click on the class name, which will show you all objects allocated and then you can click on one of the live object to display the Path to roots.

Hope it helps you ;)