Forum General

How To: code connection from Mac to iphone

WoschWosch DEMember

...with admin rules

Best Answer

Answers

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you possibly be a bit more vague? You wouldn't want anyone to figure out what you're asking.

Seriously, if you want help you're going to need to be a lot more descriptive.

• WoschWosch DEMember

Want to get fileaccess from mac on iphone

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on, I'm afraid you really need to explain the context of what you want to do.

You have to help us to help you.

• WoschWosch DEMember

@DaveHunt said:
    If you are wanting to create an app on the Mac that accesses files on the iPhone, then you can't. There is no API to allow you to do that.

seriously?
    That just can't be true?
    Is it expected that there will be a possibility in the near future?
    Is this a license concern?
    WHY ?
    Or you kidding me because i did not adding some frills to my question?
    Is it possible with Xcode and swift or objective-c at least ?

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, interestingly there is https://www.ibrowseapp.com which allows you to access files on an iPhone - but this is a Mac app, and I'm not sure whether the techniques it uses to access the iOS file system will be available from Xamarin.Mac.

I'm not kidding. Apple doesn't want you doing that. The only way to access anything on the phone externally is through the iTunes app.

There is no documented API that you can use with any language to do it. It's obviously "possible" because iTunes can do it, but Apple's not telling.

It is expected that there will never be the possibility in the near future. It's not a license concern, it's a security concern. Apple has given no sign of changing their minds on this one.

• WoschWosch DEMember

@JamesLavery said:
    Well, interestingly there is https://www.ibrowseapp.com which allows you to access files on an iPhone - but this is a Mac app, and I'm not sure whether the techniques it uses to access the iOS file system will be available from Xamarin.Mac.

thx

• WoschWosch DEMember

@DaveHunt said:
    I'm not kidding. Apple doesn't want you doing that. The only way to access anything on the phone externally is through the iTunes app.

There is no documented API that you can use with any language to do it. It's obviously "possible" because iTunes can do it, but Apple's not telling.

It is expected that there will never be the possibility in the near future. It's not a license concern, it's a security concern. Apple has given no sign of changing their minds on this one.

But there are some apps that can do it, ( within iTunes is installed or runs in the background i guess? ).
    Once I conntected iphone to a windows 8.1 pc and I could accessing data via explorer on that iPhone, for a short time, until i've installed iTunes on that pc.

• WoschWosch DEMember

But this is not prohibited by Apple to try it isn't it?

As I said, there is no documented API and Apple's not telling. There is only one approved way to access files on your phone from your Mac and that is through iTunes.

You can hack around all you want to on your Mac with your own phone. In the end, anything you come up with will likely require a jailbroken phone and/or a Mac app that won't pass Apple review.

Apple has locked this stuff down for a reason.