Forum General

Installation question - regarding VS 2015 or 2017, xamarin, android sdk and android studio

I have used vs before, I need to become a xamarin mobile cross developer. As I install and go to do my first hello world app, I end up with an error - that says I have a problem in the Android sdk, or Java. So my assumpion is I have an error in my setup. What is the proper order of installation to keep things as simple as possible, VS 2015 or 2017, xamarin , android sdk and android studio. Thanks so much in advance

Don S

• AlanClarkAlanClark USMember ✭✭✭

@DonSchwirtlich I'm going to advise you shy away from VS2017 until it's stable with a stable Xamarin counterpart for now :)

VS2015 has an option to install Xamarin which will optionally pull the requirements. Other than that there isn't a hard and fast order in which you need to install the components, but installing VS, the Android SDK / NDK, JDK, and then Xamarin, Xamarin should pick up / as for the paths of the prerequisites.

That said, there's nothing wrong with you installing them after Xamarin and making sure the paths are up to date in the settings.

• Thank you Alan, I wondered if jumping to vs2017 wasnt going to bite me in ... well bite me. Your answer is most helpful, I will do it this evening !