App for google map replay, draw and live tracking with xamarin form or native?

Hi,
I have my backend system which populate gps data for each vehicle. Now I need to build ios and android app. I prefer to do via xamarin. The issue now I am not sure should I go with xamarin form or xamarin native for ios and android separately. Among other the app must be able to show location of all vehicles on the google map, able to replay the select journey, able to draw geo fence via app and some other related featured. Can any one help what will be the best pathway ?

Answers

• AkshantVatsAkshantVats USMember
    edited November 2016

How did you do it. can you provide some useful links

• NickCZANickCZA USMember ✭✭
    edited November 2016

@newbie14 said:
    Hi,
    I have my backend system which populate gps data for each vehicle. Now I need to build ios and android app. I prefer to do via xamarin. The issue now I am not sure should I go with xamarin form or xamarin native for ios and android separately. Among other the app must be able to show location of all vehicles on the google map, able to replay the select journey, able to draw geo fence via app and some other related featured. Can any one help what will be the best pathway ?

All that you have mentioned is possible with Xamarin Forms Maps. You may want to use a custom renderer to make the Pins/Markers look like vehicles, or some other representation.

This is a comprehensive how to on custom maps:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/custom-renderer/map/

This tells you how to draw geo-fences or polygons:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/recipes/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/maps/map-overlay/polygon/

• newbie14newbie14 MOMember

Hi Nicholas,
    Sorry I am very new to Xamarin. I dont quite get on the customer renderer? Another thing if I need to do the login page etc. How about ios with regards to the story board ? Do I still need to build all this via storay board builder?

edited November 2016

@newbie14 said:
    Hi Nicholas,
    Sorry I am very new to Xamarin. I dont quite get on the customer renderer? Another thing if I need to do the login page etc. How about ios with regards to the story board ? Do I still need to build all this via storay board builder?

If you are using Xamarin Forms you don't need to worry about iOS or Android implementations in most cases. You code for Xamarin Forms, and it will take care of the rest. I suggest you start off with an intro to Xamarin Forms:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/getting-started/introduction-to-xamarin-forms/

Hi Nick,
    Yes I have been to this link before. What I am confuse is that some people say that forms is very new and some end up going native after a lot of issue with forms etc especially on the design and layout with have no gui element. So that is the reason I was thinking to go via native ?

It all depends what you want to do in terms of gui. If you are going to use all the standard controls that forms has to offer, and use them in a standard way, then forms will work fine and it will save you a lot of time coding the gui only once. If you decide one of your "pages" needs to be native, you can do this with forms. For example you can have 9 "pages" written in forms and 1 "page" that is native to each platform, it's easy enough to mix in, it is very flexible.

Hi Nick,
    As you are aware these days material design is becoming quite famous. So I want to apply it for xamarin forms such that it be automatically applied for Android and IOS but I dont think so this is possible right? I need to do each natively ?

• GuyProvostGuyProvost CAMember ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

We built a fairly complex maps app with XF, and my advice would be stay away from Forms. Go native! We are porting our app as we speak from forms to Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android for the next version... No more Forms for us!

If you are keen on code reuse and want to go native, you may use the Google Maps for iOS component on your iOS app. The map sdk will feek the same in both platform (Android and iOS). If not you'll have to use MapKit on iOS hence reducing the amount of code reuse and also have to deal with two completely different APIs for your map chores!

Forms.Maps had lots of limitations if you need to do routing, polylines or even pins on the map... Anything out of the very basic stuff. You'll end up as we did having to build a custom renderer for the map and do all the work there.

Note that I haven't try to use the native embedding control approach that seems to alleviate the need for custom renderer while still using native controls.

Dear GuyProvost,
    I will take you advice as you been through the pain. I just need some help I dont get you on this Google Maps for iOS component on your iOS app? You mean I get this from nuget ? What is the different with MapKit its more for IOS right? What is the native embedding control approach? Is there any place where it can help me with some codes to help me start on how to do replay, draw and live tracking as I am very new to this on app but on web I am done well.

• AkshantVatsAkshantVats USMember

if any one can provide git repo for this kind of project to study. that would be very helpful. i am creating project in xamarin native.
    i have gone through provided links.
    i also want to show routes and navigation also.