Developing Xamarin cross-platform on Windows. Do I need Xamarin Studio on connected mac?

IshThomasIshThomas USMember ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

I'm trying to research what has to be installed on mac, that will be connected via Agent while developing cross platform apps entirely on Windows?

I found this article: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/windows/
But it's not clear at all! It says:

"Announced at Evolve 2016, Xamarin now provides (a preview) iOS Simulator on Windows. This makes it possible to test and debug iOS applications entirely from Visual Studio (using a networked Mac host)!"

That's nice.. but "using a networked Mac host" is not very clear. What has to be on this mac? Xcode? Xamarin Studio? Nothing?
It also says "from Visual Studio".. That's great - VS Community is free but.. I clicked "Learn more" and..

"Remoted iOS Simulator requires a Visual Studio Enterprise license"

So, I'm totally lost now... here are my requirements:
1. I want to develop a cross-platform (windows, mac and all mobile platforms) app on windows, using VS2015 (or 17) Community version. I'm working on open source project, so I'm allowed.
2. What has to be installed on connected mac?
3. I want keep everything on windows (virtual machine) and keep mac clean.

Do I have to install Xcode?
Do I have to install Xamarin Studio?
If I need Xamarin Studio, should I install Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac?

Thanks for help,
Ish

PS. I don't want to install everything everywhere and pray it will work. I want to know what I really need, and WHERE do I need it. Thanks again

Best Answer

Answers

• MarkVincentMarkVincent PHMember ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

That's nice.. but "using a networked Mac host" is not very clear. What has to be on this mac? Xcode? Xamarin Studio? Nothing?

First of all, if you want to run ios in the windows, you need a mac agent with the latest xcode and xamarin studio in order to match the ssh key from mac to windows.

"using a networked Mac host"

this means, you need the mac and windows connected with a same network where the network shares different ips. What's the best way here, if you have a phone that capable for tethering, connect your windows and mac there, then run some ping in both end, see if they are sending some reply. If yes, then you can actually call the ios simulator to run on the ios previewer of the windows.

Here are my answers with your following questions:

1. For now, use the Visual studio Community updates 3 since it's cool and free. Some features of the VS 2017 are the same with the new VS Community Updates 3 like the Xaml previewer.
    2. You need xcode with running simulator and xamarin studio installed in your mac.
    3. Actually, if you're using UWP and Visual Studio Android Emulator, it's already using Hyper-V so you don't need to worry about having Virtual Box for your emulators. And since there's a license agreement from Windows and Apple, you really need mac agent or mac devices in order to run and test xamarin.ios as ios previewer in your windows.

By the way, Xamarin Studio in Mac is already compose of Xamarin.Mac and Xamarin.iOS.

I guess this is what you really need. :)

Hope I make some sense. :)

• IshThomasIshThomas USMember ✭✭

@MarkVincent Thanks!

To sum up, correct me if I'm wrong:
    On Windows I need to install complete version of Xamarin (I think I can do this with just one checkbox while installing VS2015, so I guess I did that) and make sure that virtual machine with Windows has check "Hyper-V".
    On mac:

• Xcode
    • Xamarin Studio with Xamarin.Mac and Xamarin.iOS (without Xamarin.Android and other stuff).
      Is that correct?

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the part with the phone. Did you mean "iPhone"? This part:

What's the best way here, if you have a phone that capable for tethering, connect your windows and mac there, then run some ping in both end, see if they are sending some reply. If yes, then you can actually call the ios simulator to run on the ios previewer of the windows.

You lost me here :( Can you rephrase it?

• IshThomasIshThomas USMember ✭✭

I will, I just need one more thing clear. You said "you don't need to use other virtual machines for mobile emulators". What did you mean by "other virtual machines?"

(Let me clarify what's my environment, just be sure we're on the same page: I have a macbook with macOS. I installed Vmware and I'm running Windows in virtual machine. In Windows (in vm) I want to do all the development. Because I can't run apple apps on Windows I need to connect my vm to macOS - I need XCode and Xamarin on mac)

About Android, I thought everything comes with Xamarin. I installed the entire Xamarin while installing VS2015. I thought including Android simulator too. Did you mean I need to download Android simulator for VS explicitly?

Thanks for help! Sorry for a rookie questions, It's my first experience with Xamarin.

• MarkVincentMarkVincent PHMember ✭✭✭

@IshThomas what I mean by other virtual machines are like Virtual Box, VM ware etc. that stored the android os/emulators. :) Example, when you use the Xamarin Android Player in windows or in mac, (https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/android-player/) that emulator requires the virtual box to run. But if you use the Android Emulator provided by Visual studio, (https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/msft-android-emulator/) You don't need to install any other virtual machines because that emulator automatically uses Hyper-V which is preferable :)

Yes, I'm getting what you're saying. :) Basically you're using Virtual Machine and with windows 10 installed inside the MacOS.

In your MacOs make sure you have these following.
    1. Latest and Updated Xamarin Studio
    2. XCode

Inside your windows,
    1. Visual Studio 2015 ( when you install this, make you you include the Cross Platform Development )

When you all done with this, try to connect the mac from visual studio :) A dialog will pop up with instructions on how to connect your Mac to your Windows.

Regarding the android emulator, it still depends. But if you checked all, don't worry you already have android emulator for visual studio. :) Otherwise, download this one https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/msft-android-emulator/

You're welcome and that's how our community do. :) Just pay it forward.