Forum Visual Studio

BUG? Updated Xamarin Studio 6.1 on Mac => Debug Share Extension gone?

iqmetaiqmeta USMember
edited September 2016 in Visual Studio

Hi,

today i just updated "stable" channel Xamarin Studio to 6.1 (build 5441).

Now one of the Projects in Solution the (it's a iOS Share Extension Project to iOS App) everything to Start as 'Set as Startup' or 'Start Debugging'
is complete gone or greyed out. Nothing was changed on Project/Solution.

Debuggin on the iOS App Project itself works.

I searched forum, other had this before, but it's not Clean/Rebuild or wrong Settings with Simulator. Tried it all.

Simple to reproduce. I've created a new Blank iOS App, added new Project Share Extension => no debugging of it anymore.

Bug in 6.1?

Went back to 6.0.2 where this is still available:

But now the iPhone Simulator broke with iOS 10 => error MT0092: Could not find 'mlaunch'.

Any other ideas?

Kind regards.

• VincentDondainVincentDondain USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Otto,

Indeed with our latest version of Xamarin Studio (6.1 currently in stable). You cannot run iOS extensions directly, the project type isn't executable anymore.

To be frank, the old behavior was actually a "mistake" since you weren't able to actually, really, run or debug the extension itself but were simply running the main app (which happens to install the extension).

Please note that iOS extensions debugging has never been supported by Xamarin Studio, however the good news is that this is coming soon, therefore you will get the "set as startup" option for the extension back but this time it will actually run the extension and debug it, which is where we wanted to get since the beginning (;

Meanwhile, you can just run your main app, that will install any referenced extension and, as you likely did before, you can just open the extension manually on device or in the simulator.

Cheers,

Vincent.

• jmathewjmathew INMember

Hi @VincentDondain,
    I am also looking for a way to debug iOS extols, How can I do that?

Hi @jmathew,

You'd have to use Xamarin Studio 6.2+ to have the iOS App Extension debugging support.
    Check: https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/studio/xamarin.studio_6.2/xamarin.studio_6.2/#iOS

At the moment, XS 6.2 is available on the alpha channel.

Enjoy,

Vincent.

• jmathewjmathew INMember
    edited November 2016

Hi @VincentDondain,
    Thanks for then info, but I couldn't find any resources to download XS 6.2(I think alpha is not available for public),
    But from Xamarin release portal, I could understand VS Preview for mac ships with all the features of XS 6.2. I have downloaded it and the Set As Startup Project and Run Item are enabled for my extension project. But when I choose those options, its showing a dialog saying VS could not start extionsns(that is ok because even Xcode will not do that, we have to attach process for debugging http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24031612/how-to-debug-ios-8-extensions-with-nslog#answer-24288906).

I would like to know that, will XS 6.2 or Vs for Mac preview supports debug iOS app extensions with breakpoints of see logs? or please stack trace for exceptions/crash?

Thanks and regards,
    Johny

Hi @jmathew,

So when I said alpha, I was talking of the alpha update channel of Xamarin Studio. If you have it installed and you go to Xamarin Studio > Check for Updates... you'll be able to change to update channel from stable to alpha and get XS 6.2 (alpha versions of the products are available to the public and are a way for us to give an early preview on features that we're still polishing).

VS for Mac is 7.0 so when I said 6.2+ it also includes VS for Mac and I strongly encourage you to use it :P

Now with XS 6.2 it's possible to fully debug iOS extensions, set breakpoints and see logs. The only thing is that XS will, sometimes, prompt you to launch the extension target native app manually (like idk, the Action extension within Safari) because there isn't always a default native app for each extension point.

Cheers,

Vincent.