Multiple apps from one Project

DaanLuttikDaanLuttik NLMember

Hi,

I am building an a large set of apps that are all based on the same skeleton app. One of the things that is very important for us is the ability to automate the build process. The question I want to ask is; what are the best practices for multiple building multiple apps from one project (including reuse of gui)? And is how is your experience with automating the build process is it doable and stable?

Thanks,
Daan

• DReinholdDReinhold USMember

Hi!
    I managed to achieve this (we currently build 8 iOS- and 8 android-apps from the same source) by using TeamCity and FAKE. I mainly followed the blog post: http://jonathanpeppers.com/Blog/build-all-the-things!-with-fake

Besides using the blog post I also created info.plist files for all iOS-apps and Androidmanifest.xml's for all android-apps, with different bundle id's (this is what technically makes them different apps). In the FAKE-script I have a list of the apps to be built and the info.plist/AndroidManifest.xml to be used for each. When a build is run in TeamCity the script loops the list of apps, switches the info.plist/AndroidManifest.xml in the source, updates the version in that file and builds the app. It works really well, my biggest problem is maintaining the solution configurations (I use conditional compilation symbols to control minor differences in the apps).

If you supply me with your email-address, I can send you my FAKE-script for reference.

Regards,
    David

• candidodmvcandidodmv BRMember ✭✭

Hi @DaanLuttik !

Could you share your thought about this needs? Do you already have done any applications following the instructions gaved by @DReinhold ? Or even, do you found another way to solve the need of manage several apps with the same codebase?

Thanks!

• zechenliuzechenliu USMember ✭✭

Such as i have two kind of versions, one version is function limited. I surely want to use one copy of code and project.

@Vinicius.Dutra said:
    Hi @DaanLuttik !

Could you share your thought about this needs? Do you already have done any applications following the instructions gaved by @DReinhold ? Or even, do you found another way to solve the need of manage several apps with the same codebase?

Thanks!