Inspector and VS2013

FrancoisMFrancoisM ✭✭FRUniversity ✭✭

Hi,

When I run VS2013 after installing inspector, it complains that the Inspctor package did not load correctly. Here is the log:

Information

VisualStudio
Begin package load [InspectorPackage]
{0FCBA9C6-0554-418C-8B79-FF2ED7DC658D}

Error
VisualStudio
CreateInstance failed for package [InspectorPackage]

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.errorinfo>

Error
VisualStudio
End package load [InspectorPackage]

80004005 - E_FAIL
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.errorinfo>
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• AlexisTheriaultAlexisTheriault USUniversity

Hi,

I have the same problem right now (I have VS 2013 update 5 in case it changes something). When debugging the application the xamarin inspector toolbar menu item is disabled. Do you have the same thing?

Thank you

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong Xamurai USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

I'll look into this. What level of VS2013 do you have? Our installer should require Pro or greater.

• AlexisTheriaultAlexisTheriault USUniversity

It is Ultimate

• FrancoisMFrancoisM ✭✭ FRUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 2015

I got pro 2013 Update 5.

• FrancoisMFrancoisM ✭✭ FRUniversity ✭✭

Tks. When is next release roughly?

• threadythready ✭✭✭ CAMember ✭✭✭

I have a grayed out inspector button as well. Can't wait to have this amazing tool- I saw it demoed for Mac at a talk in Montreal. I'm on Windows with VS2013 though.

• zahikramerzahikramer ✭✭✭ ILMember ✭✭✭

Same problem for me. VS2013 pro

• MarcoHaarMarcoHaar ✭✭ NLMember ✭✭

Same problem here. VS2015 Enterprise

@MarcoHaar what problem? If the inspector button is greyed out while you are debugging your app, hover over it and the tooltip will tell you the reason (assuming you have 0.99.0 or later).

@SandyArmstrong i have the same problem as described by FrancoisM.

I have the following error in my ActivityLog:
    CreateInstance failed for package [InspectorPackage]
    Source: mscorlib
    Description: Could not load file or assembly file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\osyojf5p.zgu\Xamarin.Interactive.VS.dll' or one of its dependencies.

If you want the full message please let me know!

@MarcoHaar yes, I would like the full message please. Francois' bug was fixed about a year ago, so this would be something new.

@SandyArmstrong Alright here is the full error from the ActivityLog:

<activity> <entry> <record>880</record> <time>2016/11/14 10:01:51.390</time> <type>Error</type> <source>VisualStudio</source> <description>CreateInstance failed for package [InspectorPackage]Source: &apos;mscorlib&apos; Description: Could not load file or assembly &apos;file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\osyojf5p.zgu\Xamarin.Interactive.VS.dll&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\osyojf5p.zgu\Xamarin.Interactive.VS.dll&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;File name: &apos;file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\osyojf5p.zgu\Xamarin.Interactive.VS.dll&apos;&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.Activator.CreateInstanceFromInternal(String assemblyFile, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo)&#x000D;&#x000A; at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceFrom(String assemblyFile, String typeName)&#x000D;&#x000A;&#x000D;&#x000A;WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.&#x000D;&#x000A;To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.&#x000D;&#x000A;Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.&#x000D;&#x000A;To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].&#x000D;&#x000A;</description> <guid>{0FCBA9C6-0554-418C-8B79-FF2ED7DC658D}</guid> <hr>80004005 - E_FAIL</hr> <errorinfo></errorinfo> </entry> </activity>

Hope you find it usefull, at this moment i have uninstalled Inspector and everything is running as normal.

@MarcoHaar thank you, this should be fixed in the next release.

What version of Xamarin do you have installed in Visual Studio? 4.2.1 is recommended with current Inspector releases. 4.3 is incompatible at this time.

This discussion has been closed.