xamarin mac create distribution dmg file

NinineaNininea USUniversity ✭✭✭

I need to create intaller package for client, can you please give me up to date documentation for this task?

p.s. we are not going to publish app in app store, but need to have installer package for clients

Tagged:

• MichaelBothMichaelBoth AUMember ✭✭✭

Do you need to include any kind of license agreement or check for hardware requirements within the installer? If not, the Xamarin Studio-produced .PKG installer should be adequate. Otherwise, I have been using this application to create non-app store PKG installers for our product:
    http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages/about.html
    ... as we have a license agreement users must accept, and also wanted to check for minimum OS / hardware requirements.

It took a bit of trial and error to understand how things worked, but the effort was worth it. Also note you'll need to sign the .PKG produced to avoid warnings if (for example) your user will download the installer from a website.

• NinineaNininea USUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Thanks for answer @MichaelBoth , I have downloaded your application , I generated pkg file, bit it doesn't install any application in my osx ...

when I try to generate installer package from xamarin studio , it can't find provisioning profile , but in signing option I hava chosen automatic one... Also have downloaded from xcode.. so it should be installed

• MichaelBothMichaelBoth AUMember ✭✭✭

Apologies, I've been too busy to visit the forums until now.

Just to be clear - Packages isn't my application, but I will still try and help. Signing of my Mac application was very difficult to work out... the process of getting everything working was so painful I've tried to forget it. ;) I also don't currently have access to my development Mac, however:

• I use Packages to generate the PKG file using the application executable as a resource; I don't use any of the Xamarin built-in packaging at all
    • we have a Apple Developer account, and have setup signing certificates via that account. I am pretty sure this is necessary even if you don't distribute applications via the App store. Do you have such an account?
    • my build for process is:
      1) build in Xamarin
      2) build in Packages
      3) locate the PKG produced in 2), and then run a one-line script via Terminal to code-sign it (otherwise, as I recall, Apple security won't let you download the PKG from a website or makes it hard to)

If this doesn't help, let me know, and next time I access my Mac I'll check exactly what settings I have in Xamarin, in Packages, and what command I've written for the code-signing in 3).

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nininea said:
    Thanks for answer @MichaelBoth , I have downloaded your application , I generated pkg file, bit it doesn't install any application in my osx ...

You may need to try installing on a different Mac from your development machine. In my experience, the package installer on MacOS will find the application in your project area and install there instead of installing to the designated destination.

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

That or clean your project (after moving the pkg file). As @DaveHunt mentioned, the package installer is SUPER fussy, and if it finds the original anywhere it'll just give up.

• ThomasFlemmingThomasFlemming DEMember ✭✭
    edited April 2018

its a while ago, but did you ever solve this?
    I'm having the same problem. Just want a package for a client, not app store.
    Not using Archive. Just checked "Create installer package" in Mac Build.
    Also checked Sign app bundle (developer id (automatic) ) and sign installer package (developer id installer (automatic))
    Building is successful, the package is created, but it doesn't install properly. I don't have another mac to test, so I cleaned the project, run the package-installer on my dev-machine, it also looks as if the app was correctly installed in Applications, but it doesn't run.
    I was also trying this Package-tool, but the result is the same. pkg is created, but nothing is installed or the app is not starting.
    Any ideas?

I created .dmg from ad hoc file, this is how it looks like

(https://us.v-cdn.net/5019960/uploads/editor/ou/f0jlyyfqn984.png "")

here is how you can create .dmg file :

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-DMG-File-on-a-Mac

Thanks, but creating the package works, just installing or better running the installed app is the problem.
    The app is running when it is stored on my desktop or somewhere in my home-directory.
    Its not running, not even showing the right icon, if copied to /Applications.
    So maybe permissions..

edited April 2018

Its definitely permission, that the app is not running from /Applications.

Playing with "Packages", really a cool tool.
    Here is a description, how to create a package, which installs the app "only for me", meaning in ~/Applications.
    And then everything is working.