Developing iPhone app on Windows

nicolasr75nicolasr75 DEMember

Hello all,

I'm totally new to Xamarin and iPhone app programming.

My background is C++/C# and my company is developing hardware devices and Windows software to talk to these devices. Now we want to invade into the world of mobile apps...

Before we buy enterprise development studios, iMacs for developers etc. my boss would like to see a simple example.

The restrictions are:

• I only have a Windows development machine
  • We have a customer who would like to participate in the beta development and has our testing device, an iMac and an iPhone.
  • We have no direct network connection to this customer

My question:

Is it possible to use Xamarin to develop a simple iPhone app with C# and transfer this app regularly for testing to the customer via Email?

As far as I understand the customer would then need to build the app on the iMac and would need a developer account to be able to transfer the app to the iPhone without an AppStore approval.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me wether this is possible!

Thanks,
Nick

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

You do need a Mac around for basic debugging at the very least.
    If you do not have access to one and need a quick solution, check macincloud.com. They claim to support Xamarin.
    This also allows you to provide ready-to-run IPAs to your client, saving hassle. You can use TestFlight to make it even more straightforward.

• nicolasr75nicolasr75 DEMember
    edited May 2013

Thanks for your reply. Macincloud looks like a great option for testing!

• NicWiseNicWise NZMember, Insider, Beta mod

Can you borrow the iMac just to do the beta? or rent a mac for a month or so?

Also, to get betas, use TestFlight. It's free, and very very easy to use (you get the person, with the device, to sign up, which gets you their UDID so you can intall builds on the device, then you just upload to TF, which emails them with a link to download and install it)

• nicolasr75nicolasr75 DEMember

Yes, I probably could borrow the iMac. I will check out which option is acceptable under all the restrictions...

Thanks for the TestFlight link. This really helps!

• StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013

Every review I've seen of MacInTheCloud, and both people I know who've tried it... let's just say that the word 'sucks' is involved :/

In a similar vein I've recently also seen http://www.xcodeclub.com/ advertised...

... but personally I'd find a way to get a real Mac if you can - testing on a real iOS device is essential and you can't easily do that with any cloud-based Mac.

If you buy a Mac Mini you can probably sell it on ebay a month or two later for a similar price?

• ArogersArogers CAMember
    edited August 2013

I tried both macincloud and xcodeclub.com while searching for a mac alternative a while ago, and can attest that macincloud should be avoided at all costs - sluggishly slow, looks like it's overloaded with dozens virtual machines on a cheap hackintosh, good luck with their support, no admin rights - avoid.
    XCodeClub.com on the other hand turned out to be a life saver for me - very fast, in fact faster than anything I tried, live chat support provided directly by Daniel, the owner, who even offered me his own Apple developers license for testing without AppStore's approuval, and best of all - full admin rights to my Mac, so I can install anything (including Xamarin) directly without asking anyone's permission. Highly recommended. Hope this helps fellow developers.