Forum Xamarin.iOS

Why did my iOS app stop working?

Last Monday I created an app and installed it on both an iPhone 6 plus and and iPad Pro. The app worked perfectly on both devices. On Thursday I tested them both again and they worked. On Saturday I found that the app would no longer work on either device. It would start to launch then disappear from the screen. There are no messages. I noticed that the Setting -> General ->Device Management menu was no longer on either device, so I could not delete the app from that menu. On the iPhone I was able to delete the app normally and reinstall it, and it again works perfectly. The Setting -> General ->Device Management menu is back.

Is there some time limit on how long an app I create will work? If this is normal behavior, I don't like it.

Best Answer

Answers

• prashantvcprashantvc USXamarin Team Xamurai

Is there some time limit on how long an app I create will work?

This is not a normal behaviour, and there is no limit on how long the app will work

Could you share the Device logs when you see this issue again? You can find the instructions at http://stackoverflow.com/a/24714865/85606

• BjarkeSogaardBjarkeSogaard USMember ✭✭

You aren't a registered iOS developer, I take it? Neither am I at home, and I'm experiencing the same as you. However at work, where I use my registered App developer account from Apple, apps never just randomly stop working, as they do when I'm unregistered.

I'm just guessing here, but I think it might be a security precaution from Apples side, to ensure completely anonymous developers' apps wont just work forever. After all, when you purchase a developer license from Apple, you're no longer anonymous to them.

I don't KNOW if this is the reason/issue, I'm just guessing. But it seems likely.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience apps deployed by a non registered iOS dev expire after just a few days.

• With the iPad attached to my Mac there is a continuous stream of data flooding the console. I think I was able to isolate a section which clearly relates to my application which is named FileSystem.

Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad amfid[235] : /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/3B9AA3F5-3563-4298-8728-7C7673C91532/FileSystem.app/FileSystem not valid: 0xe8008015: A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found.
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad SpringBoard(BaseBoard)[57] : Unable to get pid for 'UIKitApplication:SVP-Consulting.Test1[0x460f]': No such process (err 3)
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad kernel(AppleMobileFileIntegrity)[0] : AMFI: code signature validation failed.
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[57] : Bootstrapping failed for
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad backboardd[59] : Setting minimum brightness level: 0.000000 with fade duration 0.500000
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad SpringBoard[57] : Disabling home screen icon rotation for reason: SBAppToAppWorkspaceTransaction
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[57] : checking for prefetched object for key=SBDefaultStatusBarHiddenKey bundleID=
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[57] : found object (null)
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[57] : checking for prefetched object for key=SBDefaultStatusBarHiddenKey bundleID=
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad SpringBoard(FrontBoard)[57] : found object (null)
    Oct 24 23:09:20 Stephens-iPad sharingd[190] : SystemUI unknown identifier: 'SVP-Consulting.Test1'

I had read that the problem may be that I am not a paid developer, so I joined up. If that turns out to be the problem, then the process of informing developers is sorely lacking.