Internal distribution: what alternatives do we have?

FranciscoGGFranciscoGG ESMember ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

Hi guys.

At this moment, I am using Google Play and App Store for doing the distribution to our customer, but the fact that Apple needs 4-7 days for publishing the app makes this routine not too flexible for us.

There are scenarios when we need to release a specific version -with, for example, any hotfix- than our customer needs to install fastly, without waiting for the Apple review.

For our internal testing we are using HockeyApp - and we are really happy, my question is: is there any tool like HockeyApp for in-house distribution?

Thanks in advance!

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

hotfix- than our customer needs
    for in-house distribution?

Well... Which is it? In-house or a customer?

In-house apps shouldn't be going through a store. If memory serves Apple will let you designate up to 100 in-house devices for testing and development. Those don't go through the Store for obvious reasons.

But if you're talking about a customer - that goes through a store.

• FranciscoGGFranciscoGG ESMember ✭✭
    edited October 2016

@ClintStLaurent said:

hotfix- than our customer needs
    for in-house distribution?

Well... Which is it? In-house or a customer?

In-house apps shouldn't be going through a store. If memory serves Apple will let you designate up to 100 in-house devices for testing and development. Those don't go through the Store for obvious reasons.

But if you're talking about a customer - that goes through a store.

@ClintStLaurent, our idea is to distribute the app in an internal distribution way, avoiding the store and avoiding to be updating the provisioning profile every time we want a new device to use the app.

Is this possible?

That violates all kinds of agreements. You'll get bounced/revoked for deliberately by-passing the payment system of the store.

In other words: If its your employees for QA and Dev, its in-house.
    If you're getting paid, its a customer and the marketplace deserves to get paid to.

Just do things above board and you'll have a lot less issues.

• FranciscoGGFranciscoGG ESMember ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Well, let's take care about the things we say, @ClintStLaurent. And this is why sometimes I hate this forum...I have the feeling that sometimes we are more worried about our personal glory or giving lessons instead of know the original question and try usefully to help to another colleage.

My customer is a company and this company wants to distribute internally to his customers the app that I am developing. Where is the thing that I am trying to do below the board? My customer is not the end user, but my customer wants to deliver the app to only his customers, not to all the people. Where is the problem?

The distribution outside the App Store is something that does not violate anything and even it is comtemplated in the official apple documentation, as you can see here: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/DistributingApplicationsOutside/DistributingApplicationsOutside.html

My only question is if does exist any plattform (like HockeyApp, but HockeyApp is thought only for BETA testing) where my customer can deliver the app to his customers (the real end users), avoiding the large validations that Apple does when you submit the app to the store.

I repeat, @ClintStLaurent, this is not anything illegal, so try to know better what are you saying before do it or try to ask better what I was asking for. Not all the iPhone/iPad apps that we develop can be hosted in App Store, there are alternative scenarios, and this is one of them.

Nothing I said was about personal glory, despite my Klingon heritage.
    Simple fact is that not everyone knows everything - that's the point of forums: To share.
    You knew something about the distribution license that I didn't. Great! Thanks for sharing. I've learned something too.

Best of luck with your project.

• AlexWhiteAlexWhite GBMember ✭✭✭

You need an enterprise certificate using the enterprise program with Apple it does all of what you need, lots of people use this system to distribute apps outside of companies, virtually every taxi booking app has a driver app that uses an enterprise certificate that avoids the need to go through the store.

• ConwayConway USMember ✭✭

My understanding is that the Enterprise program is for developing iOS apps that are going to be used exclusively for your organization's employees and it's contractors (look at the first sentence of this link: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/DistributingEnterpriseProgramApps/DistributingEnterpriseProgramApps.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012582-CH33-SW1 ). If you read the Enterprise licensing agreement, you will notice that Apple can revoke your developer membership for breaking the agreement. I don't know how the customers (like the taxi booking app mentioned above) do it...maybe Apple turns a blind eye, or maybe they just don't know about it, or maybe I misunderstand.

The Distributing Apps Outside link provided in a previous post is for the Mac App Store. I don't think this applies for the iOS App Store. In iOS, you have Apple Enterprise for within an organization, or the regular Apple developer program for everything else. There is a B2B option within the latter (https://developer.apple.com/programs/volume/b2b/); maybe that's an option.

The original post mentions a 4-7 day turnaround for the Apple review. A few months ago, they reworked their review process and it's faster now. Our app took about a day the last time we submitted.

• AlexWhiteAlexWhite GBMember ✭✭✭

Hailo has more than 15,000 drivers who are completely independent using apps on an enterprise solution, they cannot afford the turnaround time of the app store approvals, there are subtle modifications every few days on the apps. Apple know about this as they know that all that hits the app store is the customer app, they know the driver apps are delivered to outside parties.

I always felt that if the apps were going to be sold then they would kick up a fuss but free apps I don't think they care too much.