What should I do to my subscription now that Xamarin is free in VS 2015?

SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey GBMember ✭✭✭

I have an Indie license, but it seems like I don't need it any more since Xamarin is free in VS Community Edition. Should I simply cancel it? I cannot just experiment because with Indie license, if I cancel it, I cannot get it back.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The following 2 comments might be helpful:

Also feel free to get in touch via email to [email protected] for any questions related to licensing.

• SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey GBMember ✭✭✭

I don't understand what's supposed to happen.. all I want is to not be charged again, my renewal date is soon, I don't see any option to end my subscription. It would make sense if it automatically stops since it's all free now.

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I renewed my 2 Indie license one month ago... now it's free. Should I be refunded? I have written to [email protected] but no answer..

• GuyProvostGuyProvost CAMember ✭✭✭

jez can you be more clear. Should I just dump my indie subscription ? and go with the community edition (vs on windows and Xamarin on Mac ?)

I have written to [email protected] but no answer..

@AlessandroCaliaro, I see your email in the inbox. I checked with the team to make sure you'll get a reply. I'll check back on it again on Monday to make sure it's moving forward.

• TechieRathoreTechieRathore INUniversity ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski, what I have seen after installing latest Xamarin Studio & Visual Studio is that, there is a catch with free license as we Get only one license per platform free, so if I want to develop iOS app using Visual Studio using free license I can't do that as your single iOS license will be consumed by the Mac used for build and when I enter the same license credential on Visual Studio it give error that you have consumed your free community license.
    So how can I develop iOS application using Visual Studio Community edition.

@BrendanZagaeski some news for me?
    Thanks
    Alessandro

• JWhiteJWhite USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@AlessandroCaliaro

I just sent a response to you, check your inbox as we can take care of things. If you have further issues let me know.

@SRaviKumar It sounds like there is a setup issue on your machine. Please email [email protected] and we can get it straightened out.

@JWhite I don't think that it's a setup issue, Visual Studio integration was not even supported in the Indie license earlier so I guess the behaviour I am getting is desired one unless you are saying now that Visual Studio Support is being provided in new community license. Means now I can execute iOS application from my Visual Studio using community license ?

Thanks @jwhite, answered

@SRaviKumar

You should be able to do iOS development from Visual Studio on the free Community Edition. Something appears to be wrong in your setup as you are unable to do so.

Warm regards,

@JWhite Thanks for clarifying I will send a email with this issue today itself.

• RiccardoMoschetti.1881RiccardoMoschetti.1881 ITMember, University

@jwhite I wrote two mails to [email protected] about my existing indie license but no reply yet. Is that the correct address? Thanks for any help...

@RiccardoMoschetti.1881 yesterday they have answered to my email. I think you have to wait... Thei will be full if mails in these days

Hi @RiccardoMoschetti.1881 Could you email [email protected]

I think there was some processing issues with the original email, got messed up in the filter.

• DevGuyUKDevGuyUK GBMember ✭✭

what happens for us guys that paid $2000 for business license for ios/android?

any benefits for the expensive license fees we have paid?

I cannot see any benefit over the free version? any chance of refunding the remaining license fee?

• SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey GBMember ✭✭✭

@DevGuyUK What about email support? shouldn't you still get that benefit?

SpaceMonkey is correct:

What about email support? shouldn't you still get that benefit?

If you have an old-style license, then you are indeed still entitled to email support. This detail was mentioned briefly in a new blog post just yesterday: "If you have a current Business or Enterprise Xamarin license then nothing is changing there—you’ll still get Xamarin Support via the normal email channels."

Additionally, the old-style Xamarin Business licenses have access to the Profiler (Preview) as well as the "AOT Compilation" (experimental) and "Use LLVM Optimizing Compiler" (experimental) settings for Android. The VS Professional license tier does not have access to those features. (See also my two comments here: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/189146/#Comment_189146.)

Of course, for further discussion of what you've paid vs. the benefits you're getting, be sure to email in to [email protected] to speak with an account manager.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    edited April 2016

@DevGuyUK said:
    what happens for us guys that paid $2000 for business license for ios/android?

I cannot see any benefit over the free version? any chance of refunding the remaining license fee?

Spare a thought for the ones who paid for an enterprise licence......my boss is NOT happy! I cannot emphasise that NOT enough :neutral: It has not been thought through.

Just to re-summarize since I think NMackay's post was probably in the process of being written before my previous comment when up: any discussion of particular accounts, what you've paid in the past, the benefits you will continue to receive until the subscription expires, or the remaining term of your subscription will need to be directed to an account manager via email. If you haven't been in touch with your account manager in the past, please get in touch via an email to [email protected].

Thanks!

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@BrendanZagaeski said:
    Just to re-summarize since I think NMackay's post was probably in the process of being written before my previous comment when up: any discussion of particular accounts, what you've paid in the past, the benefits you will continue to receive until the subscription expires, or the remaining term of your subscription will need to be directed to an account manager via email. If you haven't been in touch with your account manager in the past, please get in touch via an email to [email protected].

Thanks!

Hi Brendan, it wasn't. We are in the process of feeding back through the correct channels but I had to comment. I won't say any more on the subject on the forums.

Ah ok, no worries at all. I mostly just wanted to make sure everyone who has a question about their accounts and their existing subscriptions makes sure to get in touch with the account managers since they can dig in a bit more on individual situations to figure out the best options moving forward.

• GavinGrantGavinGrant GBUniversity ✭✭✭

@NMackay I feel your frustration too. I genuinely think this announcement hasn't been thought through properly with regard to existing users.

• KVNTechKVNTech AUUniversity

A few months later I'm still getting the run-around with this. I paid good money (nearly $3000!!!) for the Business License + Xamarin University which as a package is largely free now. I was then offered credit towards additional Xamarin store purchases, which has now been retracted. Is this how you treat the paying customers the helped get Xamarin to where it is today? Disgusting!