iOS 10 console output

A couple of my users upgraded to iOS 10 and things are breaking. (notification handling seems different, for example).
I was looking at the console output to see if there were clues and Holy Moly, there is a flood of output there from
all sorts of places!

Is there some way to limit the amount of output that goes there, like a log level or something???

• LarryOBrienLarryOBrien USXamarin Team Xamurai

There are 3rd party NuGets for logging that allow you to control things on the app side, but nothing inherent in Console.app (which, you're right, is crowded and confusing and generally horrible). The "Search" box in the upper-right of Console has become considerably better and can be used to filter for specific things (e.g, the name of your app).

Also, the logs are actual, physical files, and you can open them in your preferred editor for searching / analysis. On occasion, I've gone so far as to switch to JSON-based outputs to produce queryable logs. (See, for instance, https://journal.paul.querna.org/articles/2011/12/26/log-for-machines-in-json/)

• patcarutherspatcaruthers USMember ✭✭

thanks for the reminder about "Console" -- i had been relying on the search in the Xcode, devices display and it's not as good.

(i did discover my notification problem, by the way. if anyone cares :) It turns out that while previously ReceivedRemoteNotification was never called, only DidReceiveRemoteNotification was called, with iOS 10
    the notification calls are split - ReceivedRemoteNotification is called when the application is not active, DidReceiveRemoteNotification is called when the application is active. I looked but didn't find this
    called out in the release notes, although i might have missed it.)