Problems activating Xamarin.iOS

MarioRaschMarioRasch DEMember ✭✭

I am currently evaluating Xamarin.iOS using a dveleopment PC running Windows 8 / Visual Studio 2012 and a Mac as a build server running Mountain Lion.

Alas, Xamarin installation, Xamarin Studio and the Visual Studio integration cannot handle an Internet connection using a proxy. Finally, my administrator allowed both machines to use Internet without a proxy so that Xamarin setup succeeded.

Now, when I open an iOS solution in Visual Studio, after some seconds a dialog appears saying "The build server currently being used (...) does not have the required license for this product. Please click the 'Activate' button below in order to launch...". After clicking that button, the dialog says "Activation application has been launched on your Mac machine. Please got to the machine and follow instructions on the screen. After the process is done, please come...".

The problem is: there is no applcation launched on the Mac machine...

So that else can I do to get this running?

Many thanks in advance & best regards!
Mario.

• TomBruyneelTomBruyneel BEMember

I'm having the same problem, nothing happens on the mac

and this would be the error I get on the windows machine

[2013-06-18 16:13:27.5] Handling with command: [LaunchApplication: CommmandUrl=LaunchApplication] (12)
    [2013-06-18 16:13:28.5] Attempting to acquire command execution lock, timeout set to 00:10:00
    [2013-06-18 16:13:28.7] LSGetApplicationForInfo() failed with error -10814 while trying to determine the application with bundle identifier com.xamarin.monotouchactivation.
    [2013-06-18 16:13:28.7] Error: Failed to launch : com.xamarin.monotouchactivation.
    [2013-06-18 16:13:28.7] Process Output

I was helped by the administrators of the xamarin chat. Doing the following solved my problem:

@tombruyneel Can you try adding something like SQLite-cs from the component store in a iOS project and re-build, that should kick off the activation

• MarioRaschMarioRasch DEMember ✭✭
    edited June 2013

Meanwhile, I manually downloaded the Mac license from https://store.xamarin.com/account/products and installed the file generated to "~/Library/MonoTouch/License.trial" (instead of "~/Library/MonoTouch/License.v2" as mentioned on that website).

That solved the problem for me.

Nethertheless, Xamarin should handle Internet proxies correctly!

• KillingMoonKillingMoon USMember

I have the same problem and both of your solutions don't work for me...

@tombruyneel : you just have added the SQLite.dll for iOS in your project and click on "generate the solution" ?

@mariorasch : you just have renamed the license file downloaded from the account products page ?

Thanks !

I went to the components part of the solution, you are then presented with a GUI where you can add components to your project (Nuget like packet manager). After adding SQLLite from that components section, the resulting project was to big to build with a free edition and xamarin studio asked me to activate my license.

btw, you have to do this on the mac, not the visual studio on windows

@KillingMoon: I just checked my Mac license file again. Mac Xamarin Studio trial activation status indeed depends on the correct filename "License.trial". I checked this by renaming the file again and launching Xamarin Studio: only when trial activation works correctly, you'll see two more items "Purchase Xamarin.iOS..." and "End your Xamarin.iOS trial..." in the "Xamarin Studio" menu.

The strange thing is: I also re-downloaded the license file and compared it to the one in the ~/Library/MonoTouch folder, and they do not match.

So perhaps what really helped in my case:

a) I setup my Internet connection to run without a proxy.
    b) I deleted the license files on my PC and my Mac.
    c) I re-run setup on my Mac, although this apparently did not do any changes to that machine.
    c) I rebooted both machines.
    d) I deactivated the license files generated so far via the Computers tab in my Xamarin account website.
    e) I opened my solution in Visual Studio and clicked the "Activate" button. I did this several times, because as I wrote no dialog appeared on the Mac.

At some point (and alas I do not know why), the file "License.trial" appeared in the ~/Library/MonoTouch folder and the whole setup worked.

Good luck! And be careful: license file deactivation can only be done twice via the website where it seems your PC and Mac count as two deactivations. After that you would have to contact Xamarin support to do this.

• KillingMoonKillingMoon USMember

I found the solution.

I simply run the MonoTouchActivation executable located at : ~/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mtactivation/Contents/MacOS/MonoTouchActivation (this file have no extension)

Hope it will help. @mariorasch Thanks for your answer!

Cool! I also tried to locate that MonoTouchActivation app but did not succeed in acceptable time... :-)

• BernardJMartinBernardJMartin USMember

For me is imposible , two days and nothing. Near to quit and return to Xcode

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Could you guys email [email protected]? They will be much better equipped to help you. Thanks!

OK Jeffrey, I will

I CALLED SUPPORT AND NOW VISUAL STUDIO HAS COMPLETE COMMUNICATION WITH THE MAC AND COULD CALL THE WINDOW TO ACTIVATE THE MONOTOUCH. BUT, A NEW ISSUE APPEARS, A WINDOW THAT SAYS: "THIS REGISTRATION CODE IS ALREADY IN USE....VISIT... //STORE/ACCOUNTS/PRODUCTS....".

COMMUNICATION BETWEEN PC AND MAC IS FAST . I AM SURE I AM NEAR TO ACTIVATE MY TRIAL LICENCE AND RUN THE HELLO WORLD! FOR IOS