Live inspector button disabled in Visual Studio

goldsmit409goldsmit409 INMember
edited March 2016 in Workbooks & Inspector

Hi

I just installed inspector. I see a button in visual Studio 2015 professional but it is disabled. I deployed the android app to vs emulator still it did not get enabled. am I missing something?

App is targeted for 15+ API. I use Win 10 64bit.

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

First, double-check that you are in a Debug configuration, and you have fastdev enabled in your project settings (which is the default for debug).

Then, make sure your VS Android Emulator has its networking set up correctly. Can you access the internet from your emulator? I often have issues (especially when switching between wireless networks like I've been doing frequently here at Build) where networking stops working correctly. When that happens, I quit all VS Emulators, then go to Hyper-V Manager -> Virtual Switch Manager, delete EVERY virtual switch, and then relaunch the VS emulator and allow it to recreate the virtual network switches.

Lastly, I have in the past noticed that it can take a bit for the inspector button to become enabled in VS after the app has deployed and started running. When that happens, I usually alt-tab back and forth a couple of times, interact with the app in the emulator, alt-tab again, and then it shows up.

If none of that fixes it, would love to see logs! https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/inspector/install/

Oh, also, you need to have the latest Xamarin from the alpha channel.

• goldsmit409goldsmit409 INMember

I am able to connect to internet from the VS emulator, it is running Kitkat 4.4 API 19. I left it for a while alt-tabbing from VS and emulator still nothing.

I tried swtiching to alpha channel it says cannot contact to server.

here is my current config

Xamarin Studio
    Version 5.10.3 (build 27)
    Installation UUID: ca4937f4-86b5-4782-83a4-062904454e19
    Runtime:
    Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.42000
    GTK+ 2.24.23 (MS-Windows theme)
    GTK# 2.12.30
    Xamarin.Profiler
    Not Installed
    Xamarin.Android
    Version: 6.0.2.1 (Business Edition)
    Android SDK: C:\Users\aadil\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk
    Supported Android versions:
    2.3 (API level 10)
    4.0.3 (API level 15)
    4.1 (API level 16)
    4.2 (API level 17)
    4.3 (API level 18)
    4.4 (API level 19)
    5.0 (API level 21)
    5.1 (API level 22)
    6.0 (API level 23)
    SDK Tools Version: 24.4.1
    SDK Platform Tools Version: 23.1
    SDK Build Tools Version: 23.0.2
    Java SDK: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_71
    java version "1.7.0_71"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_71-b14)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.71-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
    Android Designer EPL code available here:
    https://github.com/xamarin/AndroidDesigner.EPL
    Xamarin Android Player
    Not Installed
    Build Information
    Release ID: 510030027
    Git revision: 8dc6bca63f5cd93719a093973e74de6999864193
    Build date: 2016-03-17 17:07:04-04
    Xamarin addins: 45239909442742bdee83a0c0f77eecb8a08bedfa
    Build lane: monodevelop-windows-cycle6-c6sr2
    Operating System
    Windows 10.0.10586.0 (64-bit)

BTW was it you last night on Build 2016???
    Good stuff man. Love the great work :)

@goldsmit409 Try switching to alpha again. We had a lot of demand on the servers last week!

The Inspector's IDE integration truly does require alpha channel Xamarin.

And yes, thank you, that was me doing a little demo at the end of Miguel's session. Glad you liked it!

• TamilSelvanRTamilSelvanR USMember ✭✭

@SandyArmstrong Is inspector available for only Enterprise users?

I'm using VS 2015 Community edition. Can I use inspector tool and live editing?

@TamilSelvanR Yes, live app inspection is only available with an Enterprise subscription.

Xamarin Workbooks are free to all.

• TamilSelvanRTamilSelvanR USMember ✭✭

@SandyArmstrong Thanks for the fast update.

• Do we still need the alpha channel to use Xamarin Inspector?

The install page indicates I can get by with Visual Studio 2015 with Xamarin 4.2 or later (https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/inspector/install/). Visual Studio says my extension version is 4.1.2 (I installed the latest within the last month). I do have an enterprise license with Xamarin. Where can I get 4.2?

@FrankSchwieterman recently, Xamarin 4.2 made it to the stable channel. If you update from any channel today, you will get Xamarin 4.2.

• Thanks. I found the update, but now in my deploy logs I see "Xamarin Inspector requires an Enterprise subscription". I do have an enterprise subscription, but I guess my VS install doesn't know this. How do I apply my license?

@FrankSchwieterman what kind of app are you trying to inspect? For Android, it should be enough to be signed in with your Xamarin account. For WPF, you may actually have to have Visual Studio Enterprise installed.

• Thanks for the fast response. I am trying to debug an android project. I do not know how/where I sign in with my Xamarin account. I did sign into visual studio just now with a windows live account that has the same email as my Xamarin account, but that doesn't feel like the login you are referring to.

Go to Tools -> Xamarin Account to check your current license status and log in if necessary.

This discussion has been closed.