Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio

Hi,

I've been trying to work with VS 2015 Community Edition + Xamarin for a few days, but so far the only thing I got was a lot of problems.

1) I was following "Charles Petzold's" book, and at some point he suggests to update "NuGet Packages". After that the project reported a lot of incompatibilities. Later I found that we can only update "Xamarin.Forms" and nothing else.

2) recover from error (1) was almost impossible, and also updating VS2015 with the latest updates, the UWP started reporting other errors.

3) the solution for (1) and (2) was to uninstall VS2015 and install it again.

4) after reinstalling, VS2015 was unable to create Xamarin - UWP applications, and once again the Xamarin solution was broken.

5) another uninstall of VS2015, plus running VS Uninstaller, plus manually cleaning / uninstalling other components, I was able to get VS2015 installed.

6) another attempt, and VS2015 new Xamarin project, reported that some was missing to create UWP apps.

7) another Internet search, and after installing "KB3073097" things got a little better, but creating a new Xamarin project, reports a few warnings.

questions?
1) is this supposed to happen?
2) is VS2015, stable enough to work with Xamarin (I'm not convinced at all)?
3) should I stay away from VS2015 and use (for now) Xamarin Studio?
4) it would be possible to use (now) Xamarin Studio, and (one day) move to VS20XX to get the app also running with UWP?

thanks for any help.
regards.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

**My Vote: ** Visual Studio all the way. XAML is Microsoft invented language so who best to understand and support it? VS has vastly superior diagnostic tools. And years more development.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with Xamarin Studio, but even now it still feels like a really successful freeware product. It doesn't feel like a professional grade IDE. It also has a limited scope of usefulness, where becoming proficient with Visual Studio lets you work Xamarin, WPF, ASP.net and a host of other solution types.

Not to mention Microsoft bought Xamarin. There are no public announcements about the discontinuation of Xamarin Studio but common sense tells you it will always be the poor step-child of Visual Studio, assuming it stays alive at all over the next 5 years.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Xamarin Studio for Windows only supports Android development, so it's not an option for replacing Xamarin for Visual Studio.

While there is no announcement for the discontinuation of Xamarin Studio for Windows, Xamarin have stated in a number of places that you are encouraged to use Visual Studio for Xamarin development on Windows. Also, given that Xamarin Studio only supports Android anyway, that pretty much says don't use it.