How to find the child controls from StackLayout dynamically ?

I am using Xamarin.Forms (PCL project). I have created the stacklayout with some child controls. How can I get any control from this stacklayout dynamically (like findbyName , findbyID or Type) ?

Tagged:

Answers

• jerrymaguirejerrymaguire USMember

Thanks AndreiNitescu,
    But I am not using Xaml and all are created by code behind . How can I set the property 'x : Name' in this case ?

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

you can't set the x:Name from code behind.
    the name is registered internally by Xamarin Forms's XAML parser

since you're doing everything by code, you can just keep a reference to the instance of the control.

I really suggest you switch to XAML. there are important performance improvements coming very very soon, if this the reason which you don't use XAML already

• jerrymaguirejerrymaguire USMember

I already designed more controls in Xaml :) . But for particular scenario I need to create the dynamic controls and access it dynamically. Now I tried to loop the child controls of parent controls to find it. I just having curious to know any other options available. Thanks anyway

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭

It's still not clear to me why would you need to set a Name, but if you really need something like a tag, you can always create an attached property

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

Use your own Dictionary.

• ValdirRosendoValdirRosendo BRMember ✭✭

I have the same problem:

My form is generated dynamically because the form is created on server, after user fill out the form i need to get all informations filled on mobile and send to server, because of this necessity is need to set "Id" or "Name" in all objects in form.

• RohitKumarRohitKumar USMember, University

Is that you are getting a json with dynamic controls.. If yes, then you may ask for controltype in the same json and then leverage generics to assign properties and display them.

• KorayemKorayem EGMember ✭✭

Source: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/168799/#Comment_168799

x:Name just tells the compiler to make the backing field for you. So if you say var mybutton = new Button(). That is the same as x:Name="mybutton"

• EhsanJahanagiriEhsanJahanagiri USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2017

depends on your plan
    some ways
    1. foreach(View i in ((StackLayout)this.Content).Children.Where(x => x.GetType() == typeof(Label))) { }
    2. foreach (View i in ((StackLayout)this.Content).Children.Where(x => x.ClassId == "classId")) { }
    3. Label label = somelayoutchild.Parent.FindByName

• CamelCaseMasterCamelCaseMaster USMember ✭✭
    var Label = new Label(){Text="Toto"};
    var id = Label.Id //(Guid Id)

var text = (MyStackLayout.Children.Where(x => x.Id == id).FirstOrDefault() as Label).Text;

• DeepakDYDeepakDY INMember ✭✭✭
    edited May 24

Find children control by parent control

I generating stacklayout tap and label is in stacklayout.

this statement work for me :)

private async void OrderDetailTapped(object sender, EventArgs e)
     {
          var button = sender as StackLayout;
          Label label =(Label)button.Children[0];
     }