Questions about developing a mobile application

angel123angel123 USMember

Hello, at work, I was requested to develop a mobile application and since I have not started the development yet, I want to know what is the best way to get the current date beginning from August 2016.

Then I want to get ideas from you in order to finally know exactly what tools to use.

Here are the main highlights about the application:

[H1] should be done on Android and iPhone

[H2] should have a simple web front end

[H3] should have a solid web backend

First Ideas/Questions:

[I1] per [H1] I have been thinking about using Xamarin (I have never used it before. I have used Eclipse for Android. Also I have used C# for desktop applications). By using Xamarin I think it would be good when development for both iPhone and Android because it is the same IDE. Also, I will use Xamarin Native because Xamarin Forms is not too stable and I need some specific functionalities that for sure Xamarin Forms doesn't allow. Is a good choice to use Xamarin? or it would be better use Eclipse for Android and another tool for iPhone?

[Q2] which database systems should be convenient to use in iPhone/Android/Web?

[Q3] what about the hosting? is Azure a good candidate?

[Q4] per H2 and H3, what web platform should be better given the circumstances?, PHP or .NET?

[Q5] at work I use Wordpress so I'm used to dealing with this platform. Could I use another platform like ?NET (Azure) and Wordpress at the same time?

[Q6] is there some well-stablished platforms (like Wordpress for websites) for mobile phones where you have themes and with not too much effort you can build mobile applications using Xamarin native?

Any other idea that could help me in the very first beginning would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

If you want a web front end then Xamarin is not the tool for you - it build native apps, not web apps.

Xamarin Forms is more than stable, and can be used to quickly build native apps - and it can also do everything the native version can do, with just a bit of extra effort.

• angel123angel123 USMember

Can I combine Xamarin.Forms with Xamarion.iOS and Xamarin.Android where I need specific device functionalities?

For the frontend I was planning to use ASP.NET with Azure and using Visual Studio as IDE.
    is this way correct?

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

Guess some confusion about front end - do you mean a web front end for something? If so then yup, anything web will work, ASP.Net means same programming language.

You can mix native with forms - currently using customer renderers, but in the preview channels theres ways to add native controls explicitly using shared projects and soon even in the XAML itself. If its for thing like device services (e.g. camera etc.) then there are a load of plugins that help,. plus it's easy too write your own access using the dependency service