Forum Xamarin Test Cloud (Read Only)
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Test recoder for Visual studio not working

ZenDroidZenDroid USMember ✭✭✭

I use Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise. I use trial Xamarin Cloud. I installed Test Recoder for VS. I read this documentation -https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/testcloud/testrecorder/visual-studio/. I do not see in the editor icon Test Recoder. How do I run Test Recoder for VS?

• ZenDroidZenDroid USMember ✭✭✭

I installed last version - 0.4. But it is not work. Can anybody help me?

• Newbie913Newbie913 USMember ✭✭

Help.. I'm having this same issue!

This would be a picture of the Xamarin Test Recorder settings on my desktop. Currently, I'm unable to use Test Recorder. The lightening bolt icon is not present, in my Test.cs file, as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx :)

I installed last version Test Recoder (0.4.1). But it is not work. I have this problem - "could not load assembly Xamarin.TestRecorder.Portable".

ZenDroid, you and I are in the same boat. Hopefully, someone can come along and help us. :smile:

Hi ZenDroid,
    If you haven't already figured out the answer: here it is.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39046173/xamarin-test-recorder-options-have-errors-unable-to-record-an-automated-test
    Problem solved! Good luck. :)

edited August 2016

Thank you.
    I installed last version 0.4.2. It is work -I see icon. But I get error "failed connection to app" when I chose apk.

You are welcomed. :)
    Did you build the actual apk or is it an external one?

Hello :smile:

I try"build apk" and "select apk". I see in Visual Studio -"connect to app", new test (in code) created. But app not run in device(emulator). I see in Visual Studio - "failed connection to app".

No, what I meant is are you using an external apk? Or is it being built Visual Studio? I was using an external .apk.. (One that is not being built in Visual Studio, but was built in eclipse instead).
    If you are trying to launch an apk that was built from your actual project, I would make sure that it is signed. To do that, after you have built the solution, go to your "Unit Test App" project and right click. Then chose "Export Android Package (.apk)" option. This will create an actual signed apk.
    Next go ahead and try to record, using that apk.
    Don't forget to configure your apkfile! (ConfigureApp.Android.ApkFile("your path to apk file here").StartApp();)

Also, do you see an actual device listed in the device list (top of VS2015 application page)? That might be another reason for not connecting.

It is not work for me.
    It is my steps:

1. I run export Export to android package.I tryed debug and release configuration.
    2. I click select APK in my test class. I try "my.apk" and "my-Signed.apk". After several attempts I get status "connect".
    3. I see new test method in my test class. I see icon near my test method. But when I click on this icon nothing happens.
    4. No app on the device. Have I it set itself on device?

Thank you for your help.

"No app on the device. Have I it set itself on device? "
    Does this mean that you do not have devices listed in your device list?
    If so, you not only need devices in the list. But you also need to select a device from the list. For instance, I'm using a virtual device that I've created (name VirtualNexus7). If I look at the pull down list, I see that this devices has a check mark next to it. This indicates that I have a device selected in order to record (and then playback) my test on.

What is listed in your device list? Is it just "Start" or the name of an actual device?

No, I connected device to my computer. I see device in Visual Studio. Device have not my app. Should Test Recoder deploy my apk, or apk must already be Installed?
    Sorry for my English:)