"Monodroid error XA0000" with "Unexpected error" with reason "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: [..]"

NelsonMartinsNelsonMartins USMember ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Xamarin.Android

Xamarin started throwing that exception from no apparent reason from one debug session to another.

Basically, I was testing a functionality and some layout changes, stopped the debug and, right after the debug stopped I remembered that had something that I had to check the value, so I started another debug session ( less than 5 seconds passed between the moment I stopped one session to start the next one ).

Once I hit the F5 button, VS started building the app and then throw an error saying that some resource string was invalid - I didn't even had something like that before. Cleaned the project, build it again and then this error appeared. It's been like this for at least 30 mins ( already tried to clean the project again, restarted the VS, but so far, nothing).

Already did some research here in the forums ( found an error similar but was about an invalid name for a style which I don't seem to have any ), but so far, nothing.

Any idea on what's happening here?

Log Exception
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(974,2): monodroid error XA0000: Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com. Reason: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly '?????, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken='. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the Mono for Android profile?

Contents on Xamarin.Android.Common.targets @ 974 From Windows, last modified on 23/03/2016 01:19 if that matters
<ResolveLibraryProjectImports CacheFile="$(_AndroidLibraryProjectImportsCache)" Assemblies="@(ReferencePath);@(ReferenceDependencyPaths)" ImportsDirectory="$(_LibraryProjectImportsDirectoryName)" UseShortFileNames="$(UseShortFileNames)" OutputDirectory="$(IntermediateOutputPath)" OutputImportDirectory="$(IntermediateOutputPath)__library_projects__\">

On a side note: Can the devs PLEASE fix the documentation on VS? Having to see "To be added." all day is becoming annoying...

Best Answer

Answers

• NelsonMartinsNelsonMartins USMember ✭✭
    edited June 2016

A month later a I didn't see a single person trying to help me - even though I got the solution by myself...

I have to love this community and Xamarin itself... Don't worry, the next time I need help, I'll dig my own grave and kill myself there rather than waiting for help here...

Please, keep up with the good work Xamarin - both community and devs.

• Hi, Also got the similar issue, if a single file was open , Visual studio gives such error. By closing that file and restarting Visual studio it solve my problem.

edited July 2016

The only thing I didn't do was re-install VS and / or re-install OS and everything. Other than that I've tried to check for file integrity, cloned the project from the repo and started over ( kept the changes aside to keep track of what I've done what what I was had to do yet ) even restarted the computer ( prior to that event I've had a file blocked by an application on my computer at home, thought it could be something alike ) and nothing solved the problem.

This until I've started to check the file integrity of the files being used by other projects to found out that a file was missing / corrupted. Somehow, Xamarin managed to trick VS thinking the error was the one I mentioned above, completely masking the real error ( VS wasn't reporting any missing file at all! )

But, from now on, I'll keep that in mind whenever Xamarin decides to break things again. Thanks.

• nathan187nathan187 USMember ✭✭

I think the best solution is to stop using Xamarin. My opinion of it so far is, it's garbage

@nathan187 said:
    I think the best solution is to stop using Xamarin. My opinion of it so far is, it's garbage

Believe me, I would do it. I just don't have the time to learn Java, nor patience for it...

But, even if I could drop Xamarin, I probably had to keep using it, since the project I'm on is using Xamarin to keep development to Android and iOS on the same "level", sort of speaking...