Forum Xamarin.Forms

May I know which mvvm framework is best suited for xamarin.forms application?

Hi All,

I am getting one doubt while reading about mvvm frameworks. That is which mvvm framework is best suited for what kind of applications?

Mvvm cross, Mvvmlight and Mvvmprism are for what kind of app development in xamarin.

Thanks,
Suneel

Answers

• KymPhillpotts.3866KymPhillpotts.3866 AUXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

@suneel_kumar_reddy MvvM is a great architecture.

If you are doing Xamarin Forms development then quite a bit of the MvvM architecture is implemented out of the box (eg. Data Binding). I would definitely recommend having a look at Chapter 18 of Charles Petzold Xamarin Forms book which you can download for free here: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/creating-mobile-apps-xamarin-forms/

Specifically for Xamarin forms there is also FreshMvvM which is targeted towards being a light weight framework to cover the missing MvvM pieces from Forms (eg. View Model navigation).

Cross and Light are great for more native platforms (eg. Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android).

Hope that helps.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@suneel_kumar_reddy

MVVM Light and Cross you mentioned can be used for native Xamarin apps and Forms apps. We use MVVM Light in Xamarin Forms apps (iOS, Android & UWP), as we use it in WPF apps as well it made sense to keep the mobile and desktop code base as close as possible.

MVVMFresh is aimed purely at Forms to will probably have more Forms specific features out of the box. As far as I'm aware, Prism can only be used with PCL (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and has some cool features too and worth investigating.

Plenty of mobile apps successfully using the frameworks mentioned above, I can't recommend one, it depends which one ticks the most boxes and you need to investigate.