Forum Xamarin.Android

Bugsense - Crash report not getting sent.

Hello,

I downloaded the Bugsense crash reporter, created the Binded assembly (which is did not take any customization).

Then using the information from https://bugsense.com/docs/android I can get events to the service using

BugSenseHandler.SendEvent("TEST EVENT");

So the API is setup correctly. When the project crashes, not crash reports are sent. According to lists.ximian.com/pipermail/monodroid/2012-January/008555.html this is because Mono dies to quickly. Is this correct? Has this been fixed.

We would really like crash reports in our project.

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the same behavior using Zubhium. I **think **it has to do with the difference between exceptions thrown by the Mono runtime vs exceptions thrown by the Dalvik runtime. At test you can do is to throw a Java.Lang.Exception and see if a crash report is generated.

• AdrianCookeAdrianCooke USMember

Hello R Macias,

It does seem to be something to do with the way that mono creates exceptions. I added this

AndroidEnvironment.UnhandledExceptionRaiser += (sender, args) =>
            {
                Console.WriteLine(TAG+"Catching exceptions.");
                BugSenseHandler.SendException(new Java.Lang.Exception(args.Exception.ToString()));
                Console.WriteLine(TAG+"Exceptions Handled.");
            };

And then all the exceptions get forwarded to Bugsense. (Just make sure that you restart the app to get them sent, because on Android you only have 10 seconds to shut down your app, thus the exceptions are queued by Bugsense and on restart of the app they are sent through).

In case you would like to use Bugsense, the Metadata.xml file for Bugsense looks like this:

<metadata>
        <attr path="/api/package[@name='com.bugsense']" name="managedName">AndroidBugSense</attr>
        <attr path="/api/package[@name='com.bugsense.trace']" name="managedName">AndroidBugSense.Trace</attr>
    </metadata>

• KariosKarios USMember

Adrian,

can you please post your full binding project somewhere? I am having a few issues with seeing the bound jar.