Compiling Error: Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets

Xamarin Studio 6.0(build 5174)

From Errors:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets: Error: Error executing task ReadItemsFromFile: Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 3, position 2.

From LogFile:

Target _ReadCoreCompileInterfaceDefinitions:
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets: error : Error executing task ReadItemsFromFile: Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 3, position 2.
Build FAILED.
Errors:

/Users/simplesolutionsMAC/Documents/Projectos/JunaNote/iOS/JunaNote.iOS.csproj (Build) ->

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets (_ReadCoreCompileInterfaceDefinitions target) ->

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/iOS/Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets: error : Error executing task ReadItemsFromFile: Name cannot begin with the '<' character, hexadecimal value 0x3C. Line 3, position 2.

0 Warning(s)
         1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.2195200

Answers

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@RitaTeixeira - it looks to me like something in xml wasn't closed properly and causing an issue.

If you open your proj file does the xml look ok?

Do other projects build ok and is it just this project that is causing the issue?

• RitaTeixeiraRitaTeixeira PTMember

The XML looks good, and I opened the file in Chrome and get no errors.
    Yes the other projects get error to.

• LucasCullenLucasCullen AUMember

Any resolution? Its just started doing the same thing here. What file is it so i can check git history?

@LucasCullen - Do you have a Mac build host or are you using a Mac with Xamarin Studio? If you have a Mac build host, check that your build host and windows machine both have the same version of Xamarin installed. Maybe you just updated one machine but not the other?

(PS: tag me in @AdamP, so I get notified of your replies)

Thanks @AdamP. Was just about to provide an update.
    Im building on Xamarin Studio on Mac. I have just swapped branches to my release branch. Builds fine. Also, just got a version from a Git Tag about a week ago, that builds. So there is something breaking but at least its under source control. Just need to find out what!

edited July 2016

Ok, @AdamP, @RitaTeixeira so after a little bit of looking through my Git commits, seems my **iOS/Info.plist ** file didn't merge correctly. Hence the warning about > character. Xamarin just complains that the wrong file has the >.

Home this helps someone else!

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <<<<<<< HEAD
    <string>1.1.1</string>
    =======
    <string>1.1.4</string>
    >>>>>>> 8d388b599143268cdd876ba9008b685efceda51e
    <key>LSRequiresIPhoneOS</key>

@LucasCullen - thanks for posting your solution, I have had that before :)

Just for any future reference, looks like we need to check

info.pList
    entitlements.pList
    .csproj

for any incorrect characters.

• PhillWigginsPhillWiggins USMember

Thanks @AdamP ...

Was starting to get annoyed at not knowing where to look! Info.pList had an incorrectly closed tag which fixed my issue.

Cheers