Is this wrong in Xamarin's Documentation?

JustDoItJustDoIt USMember ✭✭
edited April 2016 in General

In this document: [https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/deployment,_testing,_and_metrics/memory_perf_best_practices/#weakreferences](Use Weak References to Prevent Immortal Objects), it says if two objects strong reference each other, they will become immortal. However, it seems not true...

There is a stack overflow discussion on it: [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36920255/does-immortal-object-really-exist] (Does Immortal Object really exist?)

Can someone from Xamarin help on that?
Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• JustDoItJustDoIt USMember ✭✭

Thank you very much! The video you linked is especially helpful ! The documentation is definitely need to be improved and I hope that can happen soon. :smile:

• AbakizAbakiz NOMember

So much of documentation is incorrect providing broken samples to work with. Not only that but it's extremly verbose; just checkout the localizations page.

Verbose + Broken = I give up; I'm not using Xamarin anymore.

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abakiz I don't use the Xamarin documentation so cannot comment on that, the docs I look at are the iOS SDKs as Xamarin is practically a literal translation. I also read Objective C examples and then implement them in C# if I need to learn something new. The advantages of C# over Objective C for me are immense. Just my 2 pence.

• AbakizAbakiz NOMember
    edited July 2016

I like the language C# and I like XAML (Although it could be much better; but the IDE/Framework is young for Mobile)
    But it's really frustrating when you follow documentation word for word and it doesn't work.

I really want it to work. The shared UI principle with Renders is really powerful. Imagine 95% reusable code across 3 platforms.

N yes I do Swift, Objective-C & Java. C# is my favorite language out of all of them. (Swift refactoring sucks)