Best practices for creating cross platform application using xamarin

I'm trying to create a business application for Android and iOS, using Xamarin. Applications for both operating systems (Android and iOS) will have the same layout. Functionality is simple - User login, Table views, Map views, Search & filter, Navigation menu, video play lists etc.

I'll pick one of these approaches when creating the app:

Create separate versions of the app with Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.Ios
Make the app cross-platform with Xamarin.Forms
What are the pros and cons that I should be aware of with both approaches?

Answers

• SuperCDSuperCD USMember ✭✭

If you are opting for xamarin.Forms then I'll suggest you should go with the forms templates provided the Visual Studio otherwise if you'll end up creating all the dependencies/dlls stuff which might raise conflict if versions differ.
    Most importantly I'll suggest since your UI is same to go with Forms because total time will get reduced and since table and maps views it will be pretty easy with Forms.

• Leo_WalkerLeo_Walker GBMember

Hello, Gorgi. As a developer, I advise you to go for a native app. It is always better than cross-platform. Andorid and iOS are different systems and they need different approaches. Actually, there is a Quora thread on that topic, probably you will find some insights there. Anyway, you say that you need a business application, that means that it has to be lean and secure - again, native is the best way to go. Another option for you is to ask a professional mobile application developer specializing in business apps, as you can do here.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leo_Walker - That Quora thread mostly compares native apps to web/hybrid apps. That's not quite the same as Xamarin with native UI vs Xamarin.Forms. Xamarin.Forms is cross-platform native and the UI on each platform looks and works like users of those platforms would expect. For applications that don't require a complex UI, Xamarin.Forms is an excellent choice.

I'm not sure what native vs Xamarin.Forms has to do with lean and secure. Giorgi has already decided to go with Xamarin, so whether he chooses a native UI implementation in Xamarin or Xamarin.Forms, there's no difference in security and I'm not sure lean has any importance here.