Cannot find xamarin controls

elshorbagyelshorbagy EGMember

÷ installed Visual Studio 2015 with Xamarin in order to develop mobile applications with C#.

When I open Main.xaml, I cannot find any controls in the Visual Studio toolbox and the XML editor does not allow me to write anything. How do I fix this?

• JohnHJohnH ✭✭✭✭✭ GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried any of the examples?

• elshorbagyelshorbagy EGMember

what example?

• CharlieHairstonCharlieHairston USMember

I have the same problem. I had configured a trial of Xamarin and Xamarin Tools for VS 2015. I had built a the phone demo application. Tools existed when I was working with a XAML file.
    After upgrading to VS 2015 Update 2 - the toolbox is empty for XAML forms and the XAML designer no longer works.

Any idea how I can restore this?

It is a common problem and no one gives us a solution :(

So, I guess nobody cares to help here
    Thank you

• CharlieHairstonCharlieHairston USMember

It appears that Update 2 installs a new XAML designer which requires windows 10 in order to work. I found the following references. I'm still waiting on any sort of confirmation for this. Locally, I can create a new Xamarin.Forms project and still use the XAML designer in the Windows Phone 8 project. But this makes it very difficult to use Xamarin.Forms. Especially considering how many IT shops are in control of operating system choice.

------------------------- references --------------------------------

"I assume that you are using VS2015 on an operating system prior to Windows 10. According to a post on Microsoft Connect, this behaviour is by design. When you're using VS2015 on Windows 8.1, there is no support for design view, you have to upgrade to Windows 10 instead:
    If you are developing Windows 10 applications, this is by design since the designer requires Windows 10 in-order to show the design surface for UWP applications since we run application code. In Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, you will only get intelliSense. If you want full support for the design tools, you need to develop the application on Windows 10."

See the first comment by Harikrishna here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1298326/no-design-view-for-universal-apps-in-either-blend-or-vs-2015-rc-win8-1-apps-ok

I'm using windows 10. I'm very interested in using Xamarine but the support here and from Microsoft is not good yet.

• TheOnlyRealToddTheOnlyRealTodd USMember

I'm having this exact same problem.. I literally don't know what to do. Please help. Obviously there should be tools in the toolbox, look at this. What's going on?