Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Is there any way to show Tabs on bottom in Android using TabbedPageRenderer?

XamDXamD PKMember

I wanted to customize tabs on Android as they are shown in iOS instead of native look on android. Can this be achieved using TabbedPageRendere?

Answers

• XamDXamD PKMember

@Yksh.Leo thanks for the detailed answer, having all these short falls, still the requirement is to have same design on all devices. I just wanted to know that can I do this using TabbedPageRenderer or not?

• JulienRosenJulienRosen CAMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

you need to talk to whoever is enforcing the same design on all devices and set them straight. making a custom solution to break an established pattern just makes no sense from both the development and user standpoint. This would be like moving the Close Window button on windows to the left side because that's how it is on a Mac.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

We had this in our previous AppBuilder apps, as it has HTML5 and running in the browser sandbox although it's an IPA, you could put the tabs wherever you want. Since moving to Xamarin and forms the apps are more intuitive for users, especially iOS ones as out tabs were at the top.

Still, even with the Hybrid approach there were so many CSS hacks to make it look the same on iOS and Android, that's even before you face the horror or Javascript and a terrible debugging experience.

Forms respects native platform UI guidelines as best it can, your trying to force a square peg into a round hole, hybrid might be a better bet. You may end having a lot of customer renderers to make the two platforms look the same (you'll end up having to style entry fields etc etc).

• Abhijeet_SuryaAbhijeet_Surya USMember ✭✭✭

@XamD did you got any solution for it?

• HirHir USMember ✭✭

how create page navigation in bottom.....in xamarin android with navigation code for next page on tab click
    ....help me..!!!

• JulienRosenJulienRosen CAMember ✭✭✭✭

@Hir please do not do this. it is a bad idea.

• HirHir USMember ✭✭

But its client requirement...please give me some solution....how do that?

• HirHir USMember ✭✭

Hello guys, I have demo for Bottom tabs that i have build from Xamarin Forum answers...Hope its help you...!!!!!
    please refer below Zip file.
    Here i am Using "MyGroupActivity.cs" that helps to consist your current Tab .Ex Tab 1->Activity1->Activity2 , Tab2 , Tab3 Etc.
    Thank You......:)

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hir why don't you post this on github so others can help you to this project?

• XamDXamD PKMember

I didn't find any solid solution, so we changed the design of the application as standard (Tabs on top for Android).

• rudyrykrudyryk RUMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

Actually, bottom navigation is totally OK in Material design:
    https://material.google.com/components/bottom-navigation.html#bottom-navigation-specs

But it's not called tabs :) They call it "bottom bar", so from the prospect of Xamarin Forms it is not TabbedPage, I suppose.

I think it is possible to create custom renderer for Forms and bind C# BottomNavigationBar control https://github.com/pocheshire/BottomNavigationBar or native Android 5.0+ control.

And It would be great to have such one out of the box in Forms, I believe :)

• bad.mathematicianbad.mathematician USMember ✭✭
    edited August 2016