How can I get VS to default to opening AXML in code view?

ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

Right now, every time I open an AXML file, it opens in Design view. There's some lag in opening it, and I have to go and click "code" right away anyways. Is there a global flag to have VS launch in Code View first and give the option to switch to design after?

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

anyone?

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

I don't think there is a way to set the default tab that is selected. When you right click on the .axml file you can say "Open with" and then select XML view and hit "Set Default". This will always open it in the xml viewer, but you would then you have to do an open with to open with the Designer.

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

I know the right click bit. But it's a bit of a pain when you navigate with keyboard shortcuts. Designer view is good for a mall subset of devs. Being able to open in code view (IMO) will benefit a larger group of developers.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Make sure you throw it up on the user voice: https://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-suggestions and link to it here.

• WilliamRaifordWilliamRaiford USMember ✭✭

I know this is an old thread, but it seems something has changed. There is no longer a "Set Default" option in the "Open With" menu. Has this option been removed or is there another location?

• EthanLiewEthanLiew USMember

I am looking for this feature too and solved. You may try this.

For visual studio community 2015, right click your xxx.axml > open with > Choose "Automatic Editor Selector (XML) > Set as Default