Error opening xib file in XCode: Error updating Objective-C type information

KentoKento USMember

Just getting started with xamarin studio and iOS development... I'm trying to set up my development projects. When setting all this up, I had initially created a project called 'MyProject.iOS'. I later decided that I didn't want the 'p' in MyProject to be capitalized. I deleted the existing project (using finder), removed it from my existing solution, and created a new one named 'Myproject.iOS'.

Now, when I try to open the Myproject_iOSViewController.xib file to edit in xCode, I get the following error:

Error updating Objective-C type information. Multiple types (MyProject.iOS.AppDelegate and Myproject.iOS.AppDelegate) registered with the same Objective-C name: AppDelegate

Seems like something is stuck in xCode from my original project that had the same name w/ different casing. I looked in Finder and confirmed that all the old files are gone.

I believe I am experiencing the same issue that was reported here (not sure why this issue is marked as resolved): https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7550

The last commenter has a great repo and reports this solution that worked for him:
1. Close XS
2. Delete ~/Library/Caches/XamarinStudio-4.0 folder
3. Open XS : voilà everything works again now !

My issue at this point is that I cannot find the ~/Library/Caches/XamarinStudio-4.0 to delete. I found a ~Library/Caches/ folder but it did not have a XamarinStudio-4.0 sub-folder in there. How can I resolve this?

I am using 4.0.9 (Build 12) of Xamarin studio.

Here is the full stack trace from the error message box that shows up when I double click the xib file: System.ArgumentException: Multiple types (MyProject.iOS.AppDelegate and Myproject.iOS.AppDelegate) registered with the same Objective-C name: AppDelegate at MonoDevelop.MacDev.ObjCIntegration.NSObjectProjectInfo.Update () [0x00118] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.9-branch/f9c5c24e/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MacDev/MonoDevelop.MacDev/ObjCIntegration/NSObjectProjectInfo.cs:98 at MonoDevelop.MacDev.ObjCIntegration.NSObjectProjectInfo.Update (Boolean force) [0x0000c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.9-branch/f9c5c24e/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MacDev/MonoDevelop.MacDev/ObjCIntegration/NSObjectProjectInfo.cs:72 at MonoDevelop.MacDev.XcodeSyncing.XcodeProjectTracker.UpdateTypes (IProgressMonitor monitor) [0x0003c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.9-branch/f9c5c24e/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MacDev/MonoDevelop.MacDev/XcodeSyncing/XcodeProjectTracker.cs:476

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 2013

Note that Finder hides ~/Library by default. Try running this in Terminal.app

rm -r ~/Library/Caches/XamarinStudio-4.0

• KentoKento USMember

Thanks Michael. Hopefully that will help someone else in the future. I ended up just using slightly different names to get past the problems. I think this is a "bug" that should probably be fixed though. If someone was just trying out the product and playing around with names they may have abandoned it at that point. I had already used it for Android and was happy with that, so I kept pushing through.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Once we get the new iOS designer to fully support xibs and such, this won't be an issue anymore.

• vijay11379vijay11379 INMember

Hello, Jeffrey stedfast. Is this problem related to two instances of xamarin in one machine? One instance is xamarin5 and other is xamarin6.