Bug 3588 - Nested div tags throwing parser errors in HTML documents

clearnewclearnew CAMember

I've run into this bug using Xamarin Studio to create an ASP.NET Web Application and it has me stumped!

C:\@PROJECTS\@WEB\LawrenceCarriere\LawrenceCarriere\MasterPages\Main.master.designer.cs(3,3): Error: Tag 'div' implicitly closed by tag 'h1'.

I'm thinking it may be related to Bug 3588 reported here but that was some time ago.

At first they show up as simply parser warning (in the code) but then become build killing errors.

Any ideas?

• DanielHolmesDanielHolmes AUMember

I've got the same problem. Only started happening since the recent update. Haven't been able to find a solution yet besides installing a trial version of Visual Studio in a VirtualBoxed Windows :S

• davidpuchetadavidpucheta MXMember

Happens the same to me, solved doing a regression to xmarin studio 4.01 in order to keep working.
    Im on MacOs X

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

We used to have two aspx parsers, an old one for codebehind generation (based on Mono's ASP.NET parser) and a newer one for code completion. I recently merged a fix to use the code completion parser for codebehind, since it's better in many regards. However, there were 2 problems - it didn't allow nested div tags, and it treated warning as errors. I've now fixed both these problems.

It also behaves strange with two or more script tags in the header.

@davidpucheta: Could you please file a bug with a testcase and an explanation of what you mean by "strange"?

• clearnewclearnew CAMember

Thanks Michael!

• MichaelThwaiteMichaelThwaite USMember ✭✭

I'm still seeing the issue in 4.1.12 - What's the best course of action to keep us working?

Sorry, you'll have to downgrade or wait for an update.

I can confirm that this is still happening with the 'script' tag in Studio 4.0.9. Filled a bug since may

The fix is not in 4.0.9, since that release was made before the fix. It won't be in 4.0.10 either, since that's a minor hotfix of 4.0.9.

It should be fixed in the 4.1.5 beta, or the next stable release after 4.0.10.