When the Xamarin would support WCF Duplex Channel?

qakmakqakmak CNMember
edited April 2016 in General

My server all used WCF duplex Channel(TCP Binding). It works great with .NET application. I can connect WCF. I also send notification use Duplex Channel.
But Now I want to create IOS, Android app, but I still want to keep my WCF server.

But as far as I know after so many years Xamarin not do anything for WCF Duplex Channel support for the platform.
I really like .NET as a Server. If Xamarin wouldn't support WCF Duplex Channel, I might never use Microsoft library, because I too worry it any product or feature not support other platform, I can't trust it again.

I really hope the Xamarin team will do something about it. At least let us keep the Microsoft in the server part, don't let us disappoint again. and find a replacement for Microsoft 'Again'. Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• qakmakqakmak CNMember

I already know about SignalR. But I still want to use WCF. I need TCP connect. not HTTP. Also I don't want change everything. If the Xamarin team handle the problem about WCF and DuplexChannel. Maybe will save a lot of .NET on the Server part.

• qakmakqakmak CNMember

Hello ?? Where is Xamarin developers? say something please?

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't really a Xamarin issue. Even Microsoft doesn't have full mobile platform support for WCF. See https://github.com/dotnet/wcf. You'll see in the readme that duplex connection implementation is under construction and not fully functional.

• qakmakqakmak CNMember

@DaveHunt said:
    This isn't really a Xamarin issue. Even Microsoft doesn't have full mobile platform support for WCF. See https://github.com/dotnet/wcf. You'll see in the readme that duplex connection implementation is under construction and not fully functional.

Hi David, Thank you for reply. But Xamarin is the one support all platform. Xamarin also work for Microsoft now. That's why I ask them about it. Why don't they communicate with Microsoft and let the WCF and Duplex Channel support all platform?? Let us or more .Net developer use more Microsoft product on the Server part? I mean let Microsoft developer language support to all platform is the Xamarin developers work to do, Right?

• qakmakqakmak CNMember

@DaveHunt said:
    Yes and no. The point is, it's already being worked on. The project I linked is that work. Once WCF is fully supported on .NET Core, it will better enable Xamarin to make it available on iOS/Android/Mac.

There's this thing in business called priorities. Microsoft/Xamarin have to look at all the work that needs to be done and decide what should be done first. The most important thing to you might not be (probably isn't) the most important thing to them. The good news is now that Xamarin and Microsoft are together, you should expect to see full WCF support sooner than you might have otherwise.

If you had any idea how difficult what they're doing is, you might have a little more patience. ;-)

Ok then, Thank you. I hope that Microsoft and Xamarin don't release that feature until all developer don't use WCF anymore.

• huangjinshehuangjinshe USMember ✭✭✭

@DaveHunt said:
    Yes and no. The point is, it's already being worked on. The project I linked is that work. Once WCF is fully supported on .NET Core, it will better enable Xamarin to make it available on iOS/Android/Mac.

There's this thing in business called priorities. Microsoft/Xamarin have to look at all the work that needs to be done and decide what should be done first. The most important thing to you might not be (probably isn't) the most important thing to them. The good news is now that Xamarin and Microsoft are together, you should expect to see full WCF support sooner than you might have otherwise.

If you had any idea how difficult what they're doing is, you might have a little more patience. ;-)

WCF team said it support duplex channel now. https://github.com/dotnet/wcf/issues/1#issuecomment-220971464

Do we still need to wait for Xamarin do something? or could use the Duplex feature in Xamarin.Forms right now?

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure. As far as I know, Xamarin hasn't completed the switch to .NET Core, but I could be wrong.

@DaveHunt said:
    I'm not sure. As far as I know, Xamarin hasn't completed the switch to .NET Core, but I could be wrong.