Virtualizing OS X for using in Xamarin iOS

JensBJensB SEMember

Hi!
I am working with Xamarin for iOS in my spare time but as I travel alot and dont want to bring along the mac book on the trips I figured perhaps I can virtualize OS X and just VPN / Remote into it from wherever I happen to be.

I have a server at home running several different images, so I figured I can probably virtualize an image and not be forced to have my mac book sitting around always on at home, waiting for me need it. After searching a bit on this and found that OSX / Apple seems to have horrible support for virtualization and activly try to force people to not virtualize their machines (through the EULA)..

So I'm wondering how is everyone else doing this?

P.S. Seems kind of stupid to not be able to virtualize an operating system.
P.P.S. What reason does Apple have to not allow me to buy a copy of OSX to run on my hyper v machine?

Answers

• DavidDancyDavidDancy ✭✭✭✭ AUMember ✭✭✭✭

What reason does Apple have to not allow me to buy a copy of OSX to run on my hyper v machine?

You might have noticed that Apple is a hardware company that happens to also create software. Virtualising their hardware kind of goes against what appears to be their business model - selling as much hardware as possible. The software is there simply to persuade you to buy the hardware, which is why they make so much of it free.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

It also simplifies support. With a limited set of hardware configurations, they have a much reduced set of compatibility issues to deal with.