Is it recommended to convert a Xamarin.Android into a Xamarin.Forms project?

StreammzStreammz Robby GrootNLMember

The requirements for our project have changed, requiring us to add iOS as target platform. In the future this might become a Windows Phone project as well, but at the moment there are no plans for it.

We currently already have a shared project (AppName.Core) where the core logic is located, like connecting to our API, storing account information, and stuff like that, but a lot of the logic is still directly in the android project because most of it is tightly coupled with the view.

Is it recommended to switch to Xamarin.Forms so the tightly coupled view code is more seperate? The Android project is at a point where most of the required features are implemented already.

Best Answer

Answers

• StreammzStreammz Robby Groot NLMember

@ashalva,

I've looked a bit more into the custom renderers which you've mentioned in your response. From my 3 days of playing around with Xamarin.iOS trying to implement the basic part of our application, I can already tell that a lot of our code from Xamarin.Forms would be getting the views to work the way we want.

A lot of our main features make use of custom views to render everything the way we want. Since this project is relatively small, we'll stick with seperate Android/iOS projects for the view logic, since over 60% of it has been completed already. I consider it a good learning experience either way. For future projects I will definitely go for Xamarin.Forms and start it off the right way.

Thanks for the response!

• ashalvaashalva Shalva Avanashvili GEMember ✭✭✭

@Streammz,

You are welcome :))

So to wrap my suggestion, it depends on the project, whether you will choose the Forms or not. There are cases (Native views, few custom ones) that Xamarin.Forms is the exact choice, which really saves your time and resources.

But if your application includes custom layouts do not even think about Xamarin.Forms.