Bin/Obj folders are huge

TylerFoucheTylerFouche USMember ✭✭

Hey Everyone!

My bin and obj folders for my Xamarin iOS projects can get up to about 4-5 GB. It's is really becoming a problem since I can have about 10-20 iOS projects going at any time. My combined size for my Xamarin projects can easily reach over 100gb which seems a bit crazy. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to tell Xamarin to use a different hard drive to store bin/obj so I can at least put it on my photoshop scratch drive.

It looks like the size is all the simulator builds and building ad-hoc and debug to real devices.

Best Answer

Answers

• TylerFoucheTylerFouche USMember ✭✭

Ah nice, I'll check it out!

• JesseMockJesseMock USUniversity ✭✭

@MikeCodesDotNet said:
    Hi,

Your bin and obj folders within a Xamarin.iOS have always been a little large as these folders usually contain multiple copies of your project used for building.

My amazing colleague Jon Dick has created a plugin for Xamarin Studio which allows you to clear out these directories by simply click on a contextual menu! You can download it from the add-in manager within XS or find it on Github.

All the best,
    Mike James

How do you find this from the add-in manager? Im searching Redth and not finding anything

• @JesseMock said:

@MikeCodesDotNet said:
    Hi,

Your bin and obj folders within a Xamarin.iOS have always been a little large as these folders usually contain multiple copies of your project used for building.

My amazing colleague Jon Dick has created a plugin for Xamarin Studio which allows you to clear out these directories by simply click on a contextual menu! You can download it from the add-in manager within XS or find it on Github.

All the best,
    Mike James

How do you find this from the add-in manager? Im searching Redth and not finding anything

I also can't get find this in the add-in manager.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@RyanKrinjeck
    Do you have the Gallery tab selected when you search? I am seeing it in Gallery tab in the IDE Extensions section.

• TylerFoucheTylerFouche USMember ✭✭

Thanks! I'll check this out!